What is my chances? International Degree GreenCard Holder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Any chance?

• Total voters

DFS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am Brazilian and I hold a BS in Chemical Engineering from Brazil (3.4GPA) and I hold MS in Electrical Engineering from US University (3.71GPA). I am finishing all the required credits to apply for Medical School in a CA Community College, so far my GPA is 4.0. My MCAT was 33 (V/P/B: 10/12/11)

• I have over 200 credits in medical field from Brazil (3.5GPA)
  • I volunteer for 3 years in a nursing home, orphanage, hospital and social program to teach low income kids in Brazil
  • I am green card holder
  • I hold 6 semesters in nursing school from Brazil
  • I was accepted in a public medical school in Brazil 7 years ago but I was not able to attend due my family was not able to sponsor my expenses
  • I have two articles published on energy field
  • 6 years as TA in calculus and differential equations
I am thinking about applying for MD/PHD in CA, do you believe I have any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

I am Brazilian and I hold a BS in Chemical Engineering from Brazil (3.4GPA) and I hold MS in Electrical Engineering from US University (3.71GPA). I am finishing all the required credits to apply for Medical School in a CA Community College, so far my GPA is 4.0. My MCAT was 33 (V/P/B: 10/12/11)

• I volunteer for 3 years in a nursing home, orphanage, hospital and social program to teach low income kids in Brazil
  • I am green card holder
  • I was accepted in a public medical school in Brazil 7 years ago but I was not able to attend due my family was not able to sponsor my expenses
I am thinking about applying for MD/PHD in CA, do you believe I have any chance?

Hi,

I'm in the pretty same boat with you. I'm US citizen with foreign undergrad degree, living outside US for almost entire of my life.
But I'm not an expert of this, just starting taking courses in US this full.
To me, you do obtain a master degree in US and finish pre-requisites here, these fulfill the requirement of foreign degree in many med schools.
Also you have many experiences, clinical or non-clinical.

But I don't know how med schools will view the courses in community college (but your GPA is high!).
I also don't know if lack of shadowing will harm your chance. I have heard that schools in CA are competitive.

You have more experience than me. Maybe others will have better opinions.
Hope you can achieve what you want. Best of luck.

Hi,

I'm in the pretty same boat with you. I'm US citizen with foreign undergrad degree, living outside US for almost entire of my life.
But I'm not an expert of this, just starting taking courses in US this full.
To me, you do obtain a master degree in US and finish pre-requisites here, these fulfill the requirement of foreign degree in many med schools.
Also you have many experiences, clinical or non-clinical.

But I don't know how med schools will view the courses in community college (but your GPA is high!).
I also don't know if lack of shadowing will harm your chance. I have heard that schools in CA are competitive.

You have more experience than me. Maybe others will have better opinions.
Hope you can achieve what you want. Best of luck.

Thank you man. Hope both of us can achieve what we want :p
I sent an email to UCSF and I got the follow answer:

"Graduates of foreign institutions are required to complete one year of study at an accredited U.S. institution and may complete these units at a community college."

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you man. Hope both of us can achieve what we want :p
I sent an email to UCSF and I got the follow answer:

"Graduates of foreign institutions are required to complete one year of study at an accredited U.S. institution and may complete these units at a community college."

Nice to hear this!
But I'm going to a post-bacc pre-med program, I'm recently asking different schools if such program can fulfill the requirement.

Hey All,

• I am green card holder
You should be fine...as long as you apply to many medical schools (especially outside California). MD/PhD is going to be a stretch, however, based on what you posted.

Reactions: 1 user