What is needed to get into schools like DMU/Scholl? (not MCAT/GPA related)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Certified Corsair

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has directly been answered as I have not seen any specific thread, but I'm curious. What is required for schools like DMU/Scholl to at least get interview, if not accepted? Are there any ECs or desirable qualities that they prefer? Not looking for minutiae, just anything basic that people have noticed helps get them in besides grades.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know their preferences for IS/OOS or regional bias? I am from New England.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I interviewed at Scholl they asked me about my LOR writers and my relationships with them. But I had a high ranking military official write one and I was not in the military so this may have been confusing.

But generally speaking I think all schools like to see that you were active in some organization like habitat for humanity, pre-med club etc. and that you were involved over an extended period of time not just once or twice. That shows commitment and also shows your interests.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this has directly been answered as I have not seen any specific thread, but I'm curious. What is required for schools like DMU/Scholl to at least get interview, if not accepted? Are there any ECs or desirable qualities that they prefer? Not looking for minutiae, just anything basic that people have noticed helps get them in besides grades.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know their preferences for IS/OOS or regional bias? I am from New England.

As far as regional bias, I didn't see any during my application/interview process. I'm from central Texas, obviously not near any podiatry school. I was accepted to every school I interviewed at and they really didn't ask much about whether I would like the climate, whether I would be too far from home, why I like the area, etc. They will ask you "why podiatry?", but that is really their primary concern in my opinion. They're not worried about you up and leaving in the middle of the semester because you've figured out you don't like the location. They're worried about you deciding podiatry isn't right for you in the middle of semester and dropping out to pursue MD/DO, leaving them short a student (and the tens of thousands of dollars that come along with that student). Just have a compelling reason for "why podiatry" and half decent stats and you'll be OK.

DMU will probably be harder to get into than Scholl, FYI.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright thanks guys! I have done a variety of things to determine the career path I would like most. This includes ED liaison at hospital for ~150 hours, PT aide ~200 hours, and K-12 tutoring for students. I got my degree last year in med lab science and have been working full time at the hospital in biochem, hematology, and microbiology. I am just hoping they don't look at the job and assume I wanted MD/DO related career. It just happened to be the undergrad program I was interested in at the time but I find myself wanting to get back in to patient interaction again and have grown fond of podiatry over the past few months. Hoping it wouldn't hurt chances lol

A decent personality and good social skills will get you very far when it comes to getting into school/getting a residency

Alright thanks guys! I have done a variety of things to determine the career path I would like most. This includes ED liaison at hospital for ~150 hours, PT aide ~200 hours, and K-12 tutoring for students. I got my degree last year in med lab science and have been working full time at the hospital in biochem, hematology, and microbiology. I am just hoping they don't look at the job and assume I wanted MD/DO related career. It just happened to be the undergrad program I was interested in at the time but I find myself wanting to get back in to patient interaction again and have grown fond of podiatry over the past few months. Hoping it wouldn't hurt chances lol

Lot of people take pre-med route and end up doing something a different.

As long as you aren't an ass about it, work well with others, and have the grades to back it up you're fine.

Last edited:
Lot of people take pre-med route and end up doing something a different.

As long as you aren't an ass about it, work well with others, and have the grades to back it up you're fine.
Just waiting on the MCAT tomorrow :help: