• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
Who cares what people in the dental community think bec they are dictated by what the general public thinks. And guess what the general public thinks about the school you gradutaed from...NOTHING!

Its all where YOU will be the happiest over the four years!

Well I guess if you have a big head and want to say you graduated from a name brand school just to impress people, then pick a school like UPenn or Harvard...other then that, all schools are acreditted and you will be called a doctor when you graduate.

On a funnier note, we are taking a class survey as to what type of saying we want on our the back of our class shirt; I hope this one wins:

we ARE doctors

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kidcanada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2004
Toronto
Status (Visible)
Thanks I see what you are saying. I actually have a normal size head. I just want to make an educated decision and thought that dental students could help by giving me their positive and negative opinions. Your insight is also helpful. Thanks again.

About the Ads

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Brocnizer2007

On a funnier note, we are taking a class survey as to what type of saying we want on our the back of our class shirt; I hope this one wins:

we ARE doctors

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To each their own but I know if I was dieing and needed medical help. When I yell for a doctor, I better not get a chiropractor, podiatrist, naturopath, homeopath, dentist, accupuncturist, optometrist, or worse a Phd. I better see some guy with a stethoscope come running.;) What's the big deal about being called a doctor? When I am going to get my practice, I'll have every call me by my first name. No titled needed for me.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
preludexl,

Agreed. Actually, I hope I don't ever become known as a doctor, because I'd hate to be confused with one of those physicians who is overworked and underpaid. :D

larryt

15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by ItsGavinC
preludexl,

Agreed. Actually, I hope I don't ever become known as a doctor, because I'd hate to be confused with one of those physicians who is overworked and underpaid. :D

man... your good post in a long time...kekekek:laugh: :laugh:

kidcanada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2004
Toronto
Status (Visible)
After a second visit to the school and whole lot of questions, I found that Nova is going nowhere but up. It has an excellent rep in South Florida and it's gaining national exposure as well. I have actually decided to go there over a few other great schools. I'm looking forward to a great education, an excellent clinical experience, and some fun in the sun. Nova has all of the above plus a safe location, huge patient pool, new state-of-the-art facilities, helpful students, and helpful faculty. All future applicants should consider Nova. In fact, I heard that Nova received the most applications this cycle. I guess I'm not the only one that wants go there.

kidcanada
Nova Southeastern Class of 2008

larryd

15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
I hate to burst your bubble, but nova does not have a huge patient pool-sure they probably gave you the old song and dance about how there is so many new patients that they are not excepting any more-BUT IT IS A LIE! I am a D4 at Nova and the reality is that to complete your requirements you must go out in the community and find your own patients (denture pts, root canal patients etc.) For example, its about 2 months from graduation and lots of my classmates have only one or two root canals done when they need seven. So the moral of the story is don't believe the hype-and don't expect to have a "boatload" of patients once your at Nova.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Longitude 80.0W Latitude 40.44N
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
We've got a Larry T. and a Larry D.....I was confused there for a bit!

Larry D:

I don't know if you and I've met before, but I'm sure I'll recognize you if I see you. Yeah, I did hear your class is going through some tough times right now trying to fulfill graduating requirements! In fact, I was just talking to several seniors today about the ordeal that your entire class is facing with (especially with the Endo thing)!

Although you're suffering from some clinical difficulties, I know for fact that any future incoming students will have a complete different clinical experiences from what you have experiencd and what I will experience. Heck, I know my class will have a different clinical experiences than D3s and you guys (considering the clinic routine seem to change year after year).

Either way, welcome to SDN! :cool:

larryd

15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
let me tell you, its only getting worse-not better!! The never changing clinic changes this year make it is so much harder to get work done compared to last year. Trust me-you won't be so optimistic next year when you are wasting valuable clinic time (1) waiting for the chart room to find your chart-which is lost, (2) finding out the computer system (that nova is so proud of) is down (again) (3) waiting to get a start check from one of the professors that is responsible for like 15 other students and next thing you know-that same professor is telling you that you have to dismiss your patient because its lunch time-Oh well another wasted clinical day at NSU. I'm glad that its t-minus 2 months for me-happy trails my friend!

larryt

15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by larryd
I hate to burst your bubble, but nova does not have a huge patient pool-sure they probably gave you the old song and dance about how there is so many new patients that they are not excepting any more-BUT IT IS A LIE! I am a D4 at Nova and the reality is that to complete your requirements you must go out in the community and find your own patients (denture pts, root canal patients etc.) For example, its about 2 months from graduation and lots of my classmates have only one or two root canals done when they need seven. So the moral of the story is don't believe the hype-and don't expect to have a "boatload" of patients once your at Nova.

How are they going to complete their requirements ? stay for another summer or perform on the typodonts ?

anamod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2000
Mn, US
Status (Visible)
I was in Lauderdale-by-the sea this week on vacation and my daughter started to play with another girl on the beach and my mother started to talk to the family of the girl. To make a long story short my mom told the family that my wife and I are in dental school and that I was accepted to Nova but choose to attend the U of M instead due to the money, after she found out the grandfather of the girl is a prof at Nova Dental. He told my mother I made the right decision and that the school is having all sorts of problems.

On a more positive note I had a blast this last week and the area was great. My parents already have next years beach house picked out but this time they are going to stay a month.

mobius

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
florida
Status (Visible)
nova problems and that was my second choice.... anybody got something good to say about nova or uf?

About the Ads

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I guess I will discover all the problems next year when I get into clinic! So far, Nova Dental did just fine for me for the first two years! Sure, you have your little things that tick you off from time to time, but nothing major where I would recommend Pre-dents not to attend here. I'm sure every dental school has its own down falls.

Keep in mind, experiences with everyone of us will be different. With 96% of the seniors graduated last year passing the FL licensure board and 100% of the graduated seniors who took the WREB licensure board and passed, I would think this school is doing something correct!

larryd

15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by larryt
How are they going to complete their requirements ? stay for another summer or perform on the typodonts ?

well to give you an idea about how things work at NOVA-we have no idea what is going to happen. The school is too caught up in trying to portray itself as a "technology giant among the dental schools" to care about its students. We have a very disgruntled group of seniors. For example, last year as D3's we were required to give away all of our root canals to D4's (and now the incoming D3's dont have to)-I could go on and on.
Basically what our class is hoping is that they lower the requirements or allow us to do procedures on typodonts-or else a big part of our class will have to be here this summer. Any way you slice it the students are the ones that are getting the shaft.

kidcanada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2004
Toronto
Status (Visible)
In two years when I start my clinicals I'm sure these problems will be worked out. The fact that D3's this year don't have to give up their root canals shows me that things are improving. I'm also sure every successive class will have improved clinical experiences. That's all you can ask for because no school is perfect. I can see why the D4's may be a little bitter. I wish you all the best of luck with your boards and graduation. Happy trails!

Kidcanada
Nova Southeastern Class of 2008

D

dientesfuertes

Kidcanada,
That is so sweet that you so optimistically give the benefit-of-the-doubt to the administration of your chosen school. Too bad that, in reality, dental schools don't operate using any semblance of reason or logic.

dental2008

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Philly
Status (Visible)
Now I see why Nova has a bad rep among dentist.

I was talking to a few more dentists after I decided to go to UPenn that I was thinking about going to Nova. They said I had to be crazy to go there and should have only considered that school if that was the only place I was accepted.

I heard this from not only dentists in my area but some on dentaltown also.

No wonder I know of a person that wants to transfer out of Nova.

larryd

15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
to update you on previous posts, I am a D4 at nova (about a month from graduation). My class has MULTIPLE clinical problems here at nova. Not enough patients, policy changes like every day, faculty problems, etc., etc. Basically the school has caved in, and in order for us to graduate the school has allowed to complete our requirements on typodont or extracted teeth. So now you have seniors doing root canals in clinic on extracted teeth, onlays and inlays on typodonts. Basically, if you read other posts on this site you will hear D1's D2's or pre-dental students raving about nova and how there is so many pts and the clinic is so great-well I'm the voice of honesty and it is not true! The problem is that they keep changing the way they do things here (ie one year group leaders in clinic, and the next year dividing the clinic into specialty sections) and they can never get it correct! If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to a school that is more established in the way that it works and isn't using its students as guinea pigs.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Larry:

Quit your whinning, at least Nova is letting you get your requirements done on typodonts and extracted teeth and let you get your degree. It's funny, there are those of you that have ton of problems, but there are plenty of your classmates are doing just fine!

Maybe you slacked during your first semester of 4th year or whatever. Get your stuff done and stop complaining about "should've, could've and would've"s! We, D2s, D1s and future incoming students will have complete different clinical experiences than your class and I've heard first hand that we're going back to group leaders in clinic.

Remember, you're the 5th graduating class, I'll be the 7th graduating class, do you know how different our experiences will be in clinic? We're the first class to experience digital radiography in pre-clinical Endo courses and I bet your class didn't even touch that. The current D1s (Class of 2007) are the first class to use DentSim, my class (Class of 2006) didn't.

Yes, things do change year to year, heck sometimes day to day, my suggestion for you is suck it up and finish your requirements one way or the other and look on the bright side, YOU'RE graduating!

I realize it can be a hectic time for you right now, but you have to realize just because you had a bad experience with the school, some of your classmates may not have the same negative experience. I know my class will have a complete different experience than your class.

:thumbup:

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
One more thing, I'm not saying my school is perfect that once I get to clinic, everything will be nice and dandy! I'm simply stating that students don't get requirements done for a reason and it's very easy for them to blame the school or other things other than themselves.

I can foresee several of my classmates doing exactly what you're doing right now when we are in the verge of graduating, blaming everything and everyone, but themselves for not getting it done.

I wish you the best in the next couple of weeks!

Ecks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
larryd said:
If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to a school that is more established in the way that it works and isn't using its students as guinea pigs.

Sounds like you should have opted for Tufts. :D

Too all you pre-dents, dont choose Nova based soley on the fact that you'll be in sunshine for 12 months a year. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure there are many of you who look at Nova's location and choose based on that. Poor saps. :laugh:

HuyetKiem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Doggie said:
Just wondering.........

What types of patients are you guys receiving? Medicaid, self-pay, under-served, etc? How come it is so difficult to recruit more patients?

Reasons: (just my opinons why I didn't send my deposit to Nova)

Nova is located in the new and expensive area (have you seen those millions-dollar-houses just couple miles away ?). Most of the apartments within 5 miles radius are $800 or above. There are many dental offices within 5 miles radius. The city has a terrible public transportation (I tried to use them from Downtown to Nova, it took me nearly 3 hrs with many connections). ---> low patient pool.

If you have lived in Florida with many relatives and friends, you will have no problem finishing your requirements.

Those are just my opinions and observations, others may have different experiences.

PS: Nova has many other positive things that people have mentioned in other posts: new facilities, new DentSim, friendly professors and students, beautiful women from diffirent health programs, 12 months sun shine, safe and good location ..... ect ... class size will increase in the second year with those advance standing students ( :( :( )

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.