1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is NYU looking for?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by badlydrawnvik, Dec 16, 2005.

1. badlydrawnvik

badlydrawnvik Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

With the end of NYU interview season coming up, I was wondering if anyone knows what that school looks for in their applicants. I tried to get in touch with someone who could help me out but reached a dead end. One secretary told me to speak to one person, who referred me to another in the admissions office, where a secretary told me that the dean does not speak to applicants and that the office couldn't help me. I know a lot of people with similar or lesser stats than mine that have gotten interviews there and am just really perplexed. I'm pretty sure my numbers meet their standards, and now I just want to know what was lacking. Any ideas?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Elastase

Elastase StanfUrd bound!!!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think what most schools are looking for...things besides the stats/grades...aspects of your application that will bring diverse views to their school...Community involvement, research, clinical experience, activities outside of medicine...strong LORs, etc.

4. Gavanshir

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm pretty sure that they like twins. I guess they like the publicity they get from having twin medstudents at their school. So you are in luck if you have a twin, specially if he/she's identical.

5. DrKitty

DrKitty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    High MCATs...that is all I can come up with... besides that, I don't see why they didn't even bother to invite me for an interview... :mad:

6. BMW M3

BMW M3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have a hunch they like applicants who have a background in the humanities. The only people to be accepted by NYU in the last 10 years from my college were thesbians.

Also, when I went on my interview, I kind of felt out of place because everyone else was from Ivies (Brown, Princeton, Upenn, etc) or minor Ivies (Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc); I was the only one from a small relatively unknown private college. I don't know if this was because I had a Sept. interview, but I was one of only 3 people there that was still in college; everyone else was nontraditional.

Edit: oh yea, and the majors of the applicants and med students I spoke with ranged from economics to literature with relatively few pure science majors

7. es19

es19 Member
    5+ Year Member

when i was there mid. Nov, half of us were californians, going to UC's... and everyone was some kind of sci major
    also, we didn't get to see the anatomy lab cuz there was a lab exam going on...i guess it's just like any other anatomy lab anyway