What is one thing you wish you knew before entering medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSnow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
^

Members don't see this ad.

Everything

Reactions: 1 user
How impossible it is to know every detail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That my s.o. would refuse to move where I matched and eventually leave me after dragging a distance relationship out for 4 years.

Yep, if I knew that was going to happen I could have planned my life a teeeeeeeny bit better.

Reactions: 2 users
That my s.o. would refuse to move where I matched and eventually leave me after dragging a distance relationship out for 4 years.

Yep, if I knew that was going to happen I could have planned my life a teeeeeeeny bit better.

Just curious, what would you have planned differently? How you spent time in med school, specialty, etc??

Damn haha I'm sorry.

Wish I'd known how much med school can mess with your wellbeing (especially third year), and to prioritize mental health from the beginning. But also know that you're not alone and you might find some awesome people to help pull you back up.

Just curious, what would you have planned differently? How you spent time in med school, specialty, etc??
Who in their class they could relieve stress with

Reactions: 3 users
That I don't need to relate to my classmates. Most don't understand free lunch, EIC, AFDC, Pell Grants, work study.

Reactions: 5 users
I wish I would've understood that everyone in my class was top of their undergrad, did well on the MCAT, had medical working experience, and had good GPAs. Easily staying in the top half of class isn't gonna be as easy as it was in undergrad and that being in the lower half of the class is ok

I wish I'd figured out how to be more organized and stick to a schedule better. Everyone says that volume of material and time is an issue, but it didn't really hit me until I found out that even getting 1 day behind would be impossible to catch up at times.

I wish i knew how challenging the career is. In every respect.