What is Osteopathy (D.O.)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sga430

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is like MD. there are a dozen or osteopathy schools in America. They are easier to get in than a med school. When going for a residency of course med school is better. Yet a D.O. allows u do go into any speciality. However a D.O. is far better than a MBBS. Some stats have limitations though but i recommend this over going to india. Please inform yourselves.

check this out:

http://www.answers.com/osteopathy?nafid=3

Members don't see this ad.

This is like MD. there are a dozen or osteopathy schools in America. They are easier to get in than a med school. When going for a residency of course med school is better. Yet a D.O. allows u do go into any speciality. However a D.O. is far better than a MBBS. Some stats have limitations though but i recommend this over going to india. Please inform yourselves.

check this out:

Here is a better link, it gives more info in comparison to allopathic medicine (MD): http://www.studentdoctor.net/do/mdordo.asp

check this out:

this is completely inaccurate and a gross over-simplification. i would highly reccomend doing some further research from reliable resources and not to listen to comments such as the one above.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is completely inaccurate and a gross over-simplification. i would highly reccomend doing some further research from reliable resources and not to listen to comments such as the one above.

check out my link..

i agree what i said was simplified. yet i still stand by the statement that DO is better than MBBS in terms of getting a residency. The main reason to go to med school is to get into residency. In this sense DO is better than going to india.

i agree what i said was simplified. yet i still stand by the statement that DO is better than MBBS in terms of getting a residency. The main reason to go to med school is to get into residency. In this sense DO is better than going to india.

I can agree with that to some extent, but an MBBS from a very good school overseas (say a top school in the UK) will get as good of chance with the right stats, no? Maybe the less known schools (like in India) are at a huge disadvantage

rarely does anyone here know anything about med schools in india. you could come from AIMS with a 99 yet a us or DO grad with an 88 will get ranked higher than you in all likelyhood. the rep of an indian med school is insignifcant and meaningless. your scores in india dont mean jack here compared to the usmle. however u may be correct in that western european, canadian and maybe australian med school students fare better than those form 2nd and 3rd world med schools. also there is the impression that US citizens go abroad to med school because they cant get in here.

to sum up things, sadly what u do in india does not make a difference. i took a long time in india and retook many exams. however this did not affect me much as i passed the usmle on the first shot. however the opposite is true- u can get distinction at AIMS and if u flunk the usmle u would be screwed. (u can still match. however ur prospects would be dimmer than mine.)

check this out:

Actually, DO's have full practice rights equivalent to MD's in all 50 states with no limitations. My sister is an american citizen with an MBBS and I am a current DO student. Both routes will face some challenges. She has broken through many barriers and is now one of VERY few FMG's in academic medicine. As a DO, I may face less discrimination when applying for residency than an FMG, however there are still some hospitals and certain specialties that I will have a hard time getting. One reason foreign graduates may have a harder time getting residency is because residency programs highly value the experience of doing the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations here in the US. That is not to say MBBS's are not as capable. Most programs do know that there are many brilliant doctors that graduate from South Asia.

Another thing people considering foreign medical schools should be aware of is the fact that there are increasing political movements for protection of residencies for US graduates. The LCME has recommended US med schools increase class size and state one reason to do this is to not have to rely on FMG's as much to fill residency spots. DO schools have also started both expanding current class sizes and opening new schools. Another idea that is being talked about a lot is whether it is ethical to take accept so many FMG's for training here in the US. It is argued that this causes a "brain-drain" in many third world countries who desperately need doctors.

Good luck to all!

i don't mean to start a flame war... but I disagree that DO is "better" than MBBS.

After passing your USMLE's and getting into a residency, all MBBS's become MD's, whereas a DO will never become an MD.

I used to think Osteopaths are like "Haadwaids" or "Haddi-Jod Pehelwans" that are seen across all Indian towns and cities.

The main question is- Does one want to Become a doctor, or does one want to Work as a doctor so he/she earns as one?
In that case, getting a certificate course in Plumbing might earn you a lot of money here in Australia.

If you are sure you want to Be a Doctor- and a respectable one at that- why not invest on best possible academic ways available rather than finding potholes just to Get There?

After passing your USMLE's and getting into a residency, all MBBS's become MD's, whereas a DO will never become an MD.

Thank goodness for that! I'm not going to DO school to become an MD, that's why I declined my US MD school acceptance to attend my top DO choice.

I'm not going to criticize Indian medical schools for three reasons: (1) I don't know a thing about Indian medical schools, (2) I know many Indian physicians working in the US that are top-notch physicians, (3) I don't know a thing about Indian medical schools.

If you don't know much about DO medical schools except what you can read on the internet I respectfully suggest you might want to hold your opinions. Plus, this MD vs MBBS vs DO vs DDS vs NP vs MMS vs DDKS vs WER vs WWF is kind of silly don't you all think?

(by the way, DrGarfield, it should be "loopholes" not "potholes" ;) )

i don't mean to start a flame war... but I disagree that DO is "better" than MBBS.

Just remember after the USMLE, DO's have and always will be American Grads, whereas a MBBS will never be an american grad. You can't possibly think that being a foreign grad with an MBBS will open more doors in academics/residency than an american grad? So please don't fill peoples head with this crap on the forum.

Just remember after the USMLE, DO's have and always will be American Grads, whereas a MBBS will never be an american grad. You can't possibly think that being a foreign grad with an MBBS will open more doors in academics/residency than an american grad? So please don't fill peoples head with this crap on the forum.

American grad sure... but an MD, No... that was the only point i was making...

American grad sure... but an MD, No... that was the only point i was making...

I think if you want to practice in the US, it is much much more important to be an american graduate (whether it be DO or MD) than be a foreign graduate. An American grad will have better choice of residencies, which is the most important step after medical school. Being an MD or MBBS is not as important as AMG vs. FMG. I know through SDN (not really the most reliable source but I dont see why it wouldnt be true), of a few foreign grads with MD's who are now matriculating at Osteopathic schools so they can get their choice of residency and get licensed here in the US. I guess these "MD, DO" graduates beat us all...:laugh:

if you say so...

check pre-osteo forum it will answer all your questions

There has been some confusion recently about the term D.O. used in the UK. Whilst osteopathy is fully registered in Britain, osteopaths are not infact doctors (unless of course they have been to medical school as well as osteopathic school). Those osteopaths who qualified in the UK before it became a degree still have a D.O. - Diploma in Osteopathy. They are fully recognised osteopaths and some of them have done further training to bring their qualification up to degree standard.

For more information around the world:
http://www.osteopath.co.il/osteopathy-around-the-world.html

Good luck
Osteopath, Israel, Jerusalem
http://www.osteopath.co.il/home-eng.html