what is pain management like

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by southernhospitality12, Aug 12, 2015.

1. southernhospitality12

Medical Student
    Every time I have asked someone about what the practice of pain is like (from people who haven't specialized in pain), they say how draining and horrible it is.

Can someone give me a little more insight into the types of procedures, patients, practice setup, hours, call, etc that someone who specializes in pain has? Is it completely outpatient? Similar to PM&R? I'm thinking I may have the personality for it but I don't have a lot of information on pain. Thanks

2. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's like HELLLLLL!

3. Consigliere

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    James Joyce conveyed perfectly what it was like dealing with pain patients:

“What must it be, then, to bear the manifold tortures of hell forever? Forever! For all eternity! Not for a year or an age but forever. Try to imagine the awful meaning of this. You have often seen the sand on the seashore. How fine are its tiny grains! And how many of those tiny grains go to make up the small handful which a child grasps in its play. Now imagine a mountain of that sand, a million miles high, reaching from the earth to the farthest heavens, and a million miles broad, extending to remotest space, and a million miles in thickness, and imagine such an enormous mass of countless particles of sand multiplied as often as there are leaves in the forest, drops of water in the mighty ocean, feathers on birds, scales on fish, hairs on animals, atoms in the vast expanse of air. And imagine that at the end of every million years a little bird came to that mountain and carried away in its beak a tiny grain of that sand. How many millions upon millions of centuries would pass before that bird had carried away even a square foot of that mountain, how many eons upon eons of ages before it had carried away all. Yet at the end of that immense stretch time not even one instant of eternity could be said to have ended. At the end of all those billions and trillions of years eternity would have scarcely begun. And if that mountain rose again after it had been carried all away again grain by grain, and if it so rose and sank as many times as there are stars in the sky, atoms in the air, drops of water in the sea, leaves on the trees, feathers upon birds, scales upon fish, hairs upon animals – at the end of all those innumerable risings and sinkings of that immeasurably vast mountain not even one single instant of eternity could be said to have ended; even then, at the end of such a period, after that eon of time, there mere thought of which makes our very brain reel dizzily, eternity would have scarcely begun.”

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    p30doc likes this.
  4. TorMed

2+ Year Member

The idea of being an anesthesiologist but offering acute pain medicine in the emergency context is appealing . I understand that ED docs do a lot of it but the satisfaction of relieving acute pain must be great.

5. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We have a whole forum for pain. Try scrolling?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dmk5n and FFP like this.
  6. southernhospitality12

Medical Student
    Not in the anesthesia section? There is one for PM&R

7. Random Anesthesiologist

Random Anesthesiologist Random Anesthesiologist
    Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Go back out to physician forums, and you'll find it. Down by psych, pm&r, etc. can't miss it.

8. geauxg8rs

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The forums are in alphabetical order if that helps

9. Sonny Crocket

Sonny Crocket ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I think of the people that I know that went into pain, it just doesn't make sense. The only explanation I have is that they realized that they hated the OR. It is, I suppose, one of the only ways to be your own boss in the world of anesthesia.

10. Consigliere

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm my own boss in the world of anesthesia. I'm a co-owner of a group that employs 8 CRNAs and a doc.

11. sleepallday

sleepallday ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The money def helps

12. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member
    Removed 10+ Year Member

13. PainDrain

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't know how Kendall makes much money working for that group. It's a terrible practice as far as compensation goes and its owned by two docs out of NYC if I remember correctly, you work for them with no real partnership. Sounds familiar, where have I heard of that scheme before????

As for pain, it has its moments and it's fun to do procedures. I get disgruntled from time to time but I could think of worse jobs. I have little patience for drug seekers so they don't last long with me.