What is PBL exactly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was thinking that PBL was like a "case" given to students to research and then come back with what they've learned and to teach other students....but then i realized i shouldn't be thinking.
am i close?
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Streetdoc, which part of South Carolina are you from? Which college do you attend?

raptor,
i sent you a PM

Members don't see this ad :)
A general definition is that it is an edcuational approach that places the onus on the students to learn to acquire and integrate information versus the traditional didactic approach. Students start with a clinical case, identify/research relevant points, discuss with other students, and solve the question(s) produced by the case. It is an analytical process that helps students learn basic science subject matter on their own, with minimal teacher/professor involvement. The objectives, other than the acquisition of specific concepts, are to teach future physicians to efficiently research questions, problem solve, and to work both independently and jointly with others to solve clinical cases.

PBL varies greatly from one school to the next. Some have an entire curriculum based on this approach, others balance didactics with PBL, and others use it as window dressing to entice prospective students.

I personally love it. I prefer active participation in learning versus sitting passively/being talked at in a lecture hall. The process helps cement information and the clinical cases provide a context for understanding info and remembering. It also allows for the integration of concepts, whereas didactics don't do this well in my mind.

I'd be happy to share more specifics about my school's use of PBL if you have more questions/interest.

Iron Horse gave a great description. PBL sessions are the best components of the curriculum at my school, in my opinion. We are handed a case that is based on a real patient admitted to Moffit-Long or S.F. General Hospital. It is given to us in parts, so that after each part we are given the opportunity to decide what are the relevant patient data, possible differentials, action plans, and learning objectives. Then, at the end of the session we divide up the learning issues amongst the small group (6 people). We go on our own and research/learn the answer to the questions assigned and post the answers online. We meet the following week to hear the diagnosis, and learn some more general principles/facts about the specific disease that we are dealing with.

I like it a lot b/c it is incredibly clinically relevant and I think it helps you to start thinking like a physician earlier. I don't think I'd benefit as much from a program that was completely PBL, but I like that even mix of lecture and small group/pbl that I am receiving right now.

Ok, I actually have to prepare some stuff for small group tomorrow.

Cheers.