**What is preventing me from D.O path???**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reason why i am not too much into D.O is because i want to specialize. So i wanted to know if the D.Os can specialize to be a surgeon??

Members don't see this ad.

Reason why i am not too much into D.O is because i want to specialize. So i wanted to know if the D.Os can specialize to be a surgeon??

The answer is, "yes, of course." Do a search, or examine the FAQ's, and it should be immediately evident. Why would a path leading to a fully licensed physician (in the US, both the MD and DO degrees) not be able to pursue a given medical specialty? DO's, just like MD's, can pursue any medical specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)

DOs are doctors of osteopathic medicine, fully licensed physicians in all 50 states of the Union and able to practice in all fields of medicine like MDs. Not only can DOs take the USMLE (the allopathic or MD boards for residency match) and match into ACGME (MD) residencies, but they're are also a fully set of AOA, DO residencies in all fields that only Osteopathic med students can apply to. Check the FAQ or use the search function at the top of the page for more information. Also, here is a link to all the DO residencies:

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org