What is psychiatry pain medicine??

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by stookie, Jul 25, 2006.

1. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty

Medical Student
    I searched for it, but no info was available. Can you do an anesthesia pain fellowship or does it have to be a psych fellowship??

What does a psych pain medicine doc do exactly?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sga430

sga430 Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    there has been posts on this topic. check out the pain section. generally anaeshthesia, neuro, pm&r and psych people can apply into pain. others may be accepted as well. however i believe it is extremely tough for a psychiatrist to get a pain fellowship compared to the other fields. anyhow more has been written about this.

4. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    I don't know if this answers your question....

I never heard of a "psychiatric pain medication".

However, some psychiatric meds do have benefits with pain. Almost all antidepressants help patients better deal with pain, although they do not decrease the pain. Several studies show that typical antidepressants allow the patients to better cope with the pain.

And, some antidepressants do in addition to increasing the coping ability, do decrease the threshold of pain to some degree. Which ones? In general its believed that antidepressants that block the reuptake of norepinephrine do it. Tricyclics such as Elavil, and SNRIs such as Cymbalta actually have indications to treat pain.

Effexor, another SNRI like Cymbalta, has been in studies been shown to be about as efficacious as Elavil. One thing though that I find curious is several docs give elavil to treat chronic pain, but not effexor or cymbalta-both of which are about as efficacious in studies but are both much less toxic than elavil.

5. Poety

Resident [Any Field]

Whopper, the chair of your department is BC in pain as a psychiatrist :p He's triple boarded actually ;)