What is reasonable to expect with the appearance of bridgework?

cosmosmom

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
When all said and done, is it generally reasonable to expect a toddler's bridge (for one upper front tooth) to be well aligned with her other teeth?
I think my daughter's is called a Maryland bridge (with crowns on the back teeth attached to a "wire" holding the tooth in place in front). TIA for any general ideas here.

UDM or bust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
It is reasonable for it to look like normal - that is the point. A maryland bridge has little flaps on the back of it that are cemented to the teeth adjacent to it to hold it in place.

OP
C

cosmosmom

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
That's what I thought, that's just not really what I was being told so I wanted to make sure I wasn't going insane ;) This bridge is obviously protruding (probably 2mm) and I was told they aren't very precise in children so I wanted to check.
After reading your description, I don't think it's a Maryland bridge.

12YearOldKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
We need a picture to tell you anything. It just has to show the mouth.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
A "toddler" shouldn't have a bridge, not even a Maryland Bridge. At most they should have a "pedi partial", which is like a nance space maintainer with a tooth on it (bands on second primary molars with wire coming forward to hold the teeth) . A toddler won't have any adult teeth to bridge, and the primary teeth should not have bridges for a variety of reasons. I would only recommend a conventional bridge for older teens in whom growth has been completed, like seventeen to eighteen, and then would push for an implant unless there was an obvious need for a bridge, such as poor condition of adjacent teeth, poor bone, finances, etc. Most children that age do fine with a tooth missing in front. I find that if something is needed, the parent is the driving force in most cases. It's purely esthetic and non-functional. In my experience they always look a little akward, especially when there is only one tooth involved. We are talking tiny denture teeth here, not porcelain.
So yes, it is normal for the tooth not to look normal!

OP
C

cosmosmom

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Jediwendell said:
A "toddler" shouldn't have a bridge, not even a Maryland Bridge. At most they should have a "pedi partial", which is like a nance space maintainer with a tooth on it (bands on second primary molars with wire coming forward to hold the teeth) .
Maybe what she has is what you are describing, although they called it crowns and bridges. The molars don't have bands but crowns, then the wire to the tooth (I don't even know what it is made of... it wasn't explained). So it is normal for this type of thing to stick out like a buck tooth?

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
cosmosmom said:
Maybe what he has is what you are describing, although they called it crowns and bridges. The molars don't have bands but crowns, then the wire to the tooth (I don't even know what it is made of... it wasn't explained). So it is normal for this type of thing to stick out like a buck tooth?
I do pedi-partials with crowns on the molars a lot, especially if I am crowning them already because of decay.
The teeth don't ever look natural to me but I have a critical eye since I am a dentist and that's just how we are. One thing you have to remember is that it is going to look different to you for a little while since you are used to seeing the natural tooth there and then there was just an empty hole for about a week or two, right? So, it will look big. You can request to have the dentist shave the tooth back a little if you are really concerned but my thought is give it a week and see what you think. Then if you still are unhappy make sure you talk to the dentist, I bet if you thought it looked like a buck tooth he did too. If you are still worried and want us to evaluate a picture you might want to get it while he is sleeping, since that is the only time toddlers are still. Also, try to get one from the side too, so we can see how far it sticks out.
Hope this helps!

OP
C

cosmosmom

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
I am actually pretty happy with the look of the fake tooth itself (color, shape, size, etc.; I really do understand that it won't be 100% perfect) - I'm just disappointed that it is so noticably misaligned (protruding).

I'll try to play ninja with the camera tonight :) & get better pictures. If you will, you guys can let me know if it would be unsatisfactory or reasonable to you.