• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

bigwilliel

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey guys,

So I'm down to one interview left at BU in the coming week and I'm preparing for the worst (reapply for next year)...my dental experience is limited to just shadowing and I've done a fair amount of that...I've read about a lot of people becoming dental assistants, what is needed to become one? thanks in advance :thumbup:

Cyca24

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I've been assisting for almost 5 yrs and for many general offices, you don't need any experience. For the specialties, sometimes they require a couple years or so. It may depend on where you live, but most of the places I've seen like people with no experience so they can train you their way. Otherwise, there are some community colleges with assisting programs, or other assistant training schools. I don't think they are worth it though; you learn the job better by just doing it. But if you've shadowed enough, you probably don't need to assist to boost your app. Good luck with BU though! Hope you get in

in her drawer

Ain't no glory in a war
10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2006
The City, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I've been assisting for almost 5 yrs and for many general offices, you don't need any experience. [. . .] It may depend on where you live, but most of the places I've seen like people with no experience so they can train you their way.

This is great news. I was kinda hoping to get an assisting job this summer.

About the Ads

SFPredent

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I just started assisting with a low paying job that did not require experience. Now I have lots of experience from that job so am able to market myself bettter. I do think that anyone looking for an inexperienced assistant would want you to stay for at least a year so the time and training they put into you pays off. Good luck.

proline

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
How do you go about looking for dental assisting jobs?

sidewalkman

15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2004
You can volunteer at a clinic if there is one near you. They're usually looking for free help.

Cyca24

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
In my city, there are always tons of job listings in the sunday paper. Also, if you have a school with an assisting program, they can have postings, or you can call their office and ask for an update of listings. One guy I work with came to just shadow and the dentist offered him a position instead

Uracil

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
The dentist at the dental office I used to shadow, asked me if I wanted to work as one of his dental assistants :D . I was very excited. The dentist and the staff taught me everything, which is really easy and just a routine. So no experience's required. :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.