What is required to become a dental assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigwilliel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm down to one interview left at BU in the coming week and I'm preparing for the worst (reapply for next year)...my dental experience is limited to just shadowing and I've done a fair amount of that...I've read about a lot of people becoming dental assistants, what is needed to become one? thanks in advance :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I've been assisting for almost 5 yrs and for many general offices, you don't need any experience. For the specialties, sometimes they require a couple years or so. It may depend on where you live, but most of the places I've seen like people with no experience so they can train you their way. Otherwise, there are some community colleges with assisting programs, or other assistant training schools. I don't think they are worth it though; you learn the job better by just doing it. But if you've shadowed enough, you probably don't need to assist to boost your app. Good luck with BU though! Hope you get in

I've been assisting for almost 5 yrs and for many general offices, you don't need any experience. [. . .] It may depend on where you live, but most of the places I've seen like people with no experience so they can train you their way.

This is great news. I was kinda hoping to get an assisting job this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started assisting with a low paying job that did not require experience. Now I have lots of experience from that job so am able to market myself bettter. I do think that anyone looking for an inexperienced assistant would want you to stay for at least a year so the time and training they put into you pays off. Good luck.

How do you go about looking for dental assisting jobs?

BUMP. I'm interested in this as well.

You can volunteer at a clinic if there is one near you. They're usually looking for free help.

In my city, there are always tons of job listings in the sunday paper. Also, if you have a school with an assisting program, they can have postings, or you can call their office and ask for an update of listings. One guy I work with came to just shadow and the dentist offered him a position instead

The dentist at the dental office I used to shadow, asked me if I wanted to work as one of his dental assistants :D . I was very excited. The dentist and the staff taught me everything, which is really easy and just a routine. So no experience's required. :thumbup:

craigslist.org baby!
Or your pre-dental club.