What is shadowing an optometrist like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowInVenice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college freshman and I am going to try to shadow an optometrist over winter break, but I have no clue what it's like.

What would I be doing? How should I dress? What can I expect?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dress business casual. You pretty much just observe and ask questions.

You watch the OD perform the eye exam, they usually explain each part of the exam to the patient and answer any of their questions, etc. I always ask about anything I found interesting or want to know more about after the patient leaves. Usually the doctor is open to questions and discussion, it's a good experience. Don't be shy, they like questions, and dress business casual just like the above stated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd bring a little notepad to jot down notes or questions you have during the eye exams to ask the doctor later. I know the doctors I shadowed were both impressed by that. Search up questions to ask beforehand and write them all down, it helped me because my doctor was not very talkative and it kept the conversation going. Ask them about their likes dislikes how optometry school was for them etc. Try not to get in the way stand in the corner of a room (preferably not blocking the door) and observe. There's no right or wrong though!! Just genuinely see how you like it and ask any questions you have!

I was wondering if anyone could help answer my question. I haven't shadowed yet but Ive been working for an optometrist doing pre-testing and receptionist stuff. Schools only require you to have a letter from an optometrist, but since my optometrist is also my employer does that eliminate the need for shadowing? Crunched on time so was wondering if it would be considered as shadowing too.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if anyone could help answer my question. I haven't shadowed yet but Ive been working for an optometrist doing pre-testing and receptionist stuff. Schools only require you to have a letter from an optometrist, but since my optometrist is also my employer does that eliminate the need for shadowing? Crunched on time so was wondering if it would be considered as shadowing too.

Yes! I'm pretty sure shadowing is just to see that you have exposure to the field. So working or volunteering also works as a substitute. You could get your optometrist LoR from them too.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! I'm pretty sure shadowing is just to see that you have exposure to the field. So working or volunteering also works as a substitute. You could get your optometrist LoR from them too.

Awesome! Thanks for your help :)