MD2B2007

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I see lots of posts about GW (it was the most applied to school in the country last year) and I wonder what all the fuss is about. Why are people so desperate to get in there as opposed to anyone else. And where do you all get your information about number of people moved off the waitlists, etc?

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
MD2B2007 said:
I see lots of posts about GW (it was the most applied to school in the country last year) and I wonder what all the fuss is about. Why are people so desperate to get in there as opposed to anyone else. And where do you all get your information about number of people moved off the waitlists, etc?

im not sure about the others but the reason i applied there is the fact that they accept almost 100% of people from out of state= easier for acceptance from out-of-staters

plus it is supposed to be a great school, in terms of professors really caring about the students wellfare and sanity,, :eek:

Vizsla

in a lucid interval
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2005
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
im not sure about the others but the reason i applied there is the fact that they accept almost 100% of people from out of state= easier for acceptance from out-of-staters

plus it is supposed to be a great school, in terms of professors really caring about the students wellfare and sanity,, :eek:
the number of DC natives applying to DC schools is extremely small compared to the number of applicants from other states so the fact that they accept close to 100% OOS doesnt really mean much at all. GW is in a great area, has a new hospital, great student body and a good match

About the Ads

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status
DR. EUGENIC said:

Well there were only 81 applicants from D.C. in 2005, so that's not surprising.

rayster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
One of my friends who applied last year said she was very impressed by it because the facilities were so new. Apparently the whole sixth floor of one of the buildings is dedicated to students. They have study lounges and even rooms with machines on which you can do practice surgeries!

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Vizsla said:
the number of DC natives applying to DC schools is extremely small compared to the number of applicants from other states so the fact that they accept close to 100% OOS doesnt really mean much at all. GW is in a great area, has a new hospital, great student body and a good match

it actually does mean alot....which is smarter?

1. apply to a school out of state that has 5% accpetance for oos.

2.apply to school oos that has 100% oos acceptance

= less people apply from their own state forces them to accept more people from out of state= better odds at getting accpeted if you are an oos candidate...!! :cool:

Vizsla

in a lucid interval
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2005
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
it actually does mean alot....which is smarter?

1. apply to a school out of state that has 5% accpetance for oos.

2.apply to school oos that has 100% oos acceptance

= less people apply from their own state forces them to accept more people from out of state= better odds at getting accpeted if you are an oos candidate...!! :cool:
well...since gw is a private school and doesnt factor its percentage of in-state students into admissions (its prob only around 10 students every yr anyways), the stat is irrelevant...and i wouldnt say gw is forced to do anything. With over 10K applications they can be as selective as they would like..as evidenced by the thousands of applicants they put on "perma-hold" every yr

femme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
GW is an amazing school. It has everything I would want in a med school: its in a relatively urban setting, the student body is diverse and the school cares a lot about the happiness of its students. They are very technologically advanced, compared to a lot of med schools... Its just pretty tight. I wish I got in.

About the Ads