What is some topics you wish you had reviewed before starting your first year of veterinary school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s-m-t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am assuming anatomy is a key topic.
I am planning on relaxing but I would like to review some topics to keep my head in the game. I usually have a hard time getting started at the beginning of school years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just reading books in general is what I recommend. Language and imagination I feel help a lot more than trying to learn without the concentrated material that is vet school. I feel like reading comprehension is their biggest hurdle for quite a few people. I also miss reading for pleasure rather than schoolwork.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming anatomy is a key topic.
I am planning on relaxing but I would like to review some topics to keep my head in the game. I usually have a hard time getting started at the beginning of school years.
Ditto to the advice above. Pre-studying is just not worth it.

However, if you want something to "jump-start" the beginning of school, then I would suggest getting into some good habits this summer that can really help you cope with the hectic vet school schedule. Such as getting into an exercise routine, making sure you explore/settle in the town you are going to, making some freezer meals, discover your destressors, etc.

Reactions: 5 users

However, if you want something to "jump-start" the beginning of school, then I would suggest getting into some good habits this summer that can really help you cope with the hectic vet school schedule. Such as getting into an exercise routine, making sure you explore/settle in the town you are going to, making some freezer meals, discover your destressors, etc.

This. Thiiiiiiiiiss.

Workout routines and streamlined weekly menus will serve you so much better than pre-studying.

Last edited:
Just reading books in general is what I recommend. Language and imagination I feel help a lot more than trying to learn without the concentrated material that is vet school. I feel like reading comprehension is their biggest hurdle for quite a few people. I also miss reading for pleasure rather than schoolwork.
I just graduated a month ago and am reading for pleasure for the first time since starting vet school. Really wish I had kept up with it during school because its a great way to get your mind off of constant studying.

Reactions: 1 users

This times a million. Pre-studying is an inefficient and pointless use of your time. You have an advantage to do some fun things the summer before vet school. Don't miss it. I like Ashgirl's suggestion about good habits that will help encourage a healthy life once the stress of vet school hits. Those could be major life-savers.

Wish I had reviewed the inside of my eyelids, the beach and disneyland more.

Bingo.

Seriously. Just do not do the 'pre-study' thing. You'll find the occasional person who will be all like "I reviewed anatomy and it was totally worth it!" Yay for them, but don't be them. Enjoy your summer, don't feel guilty about not preparing, set yourself up to be as prepared LIFESTYLE-wise as possible for vet school, and keep on keepin' on.

Reactions: 1 users
The way I pre-studied: earned money --> left job --> went to the lake --> went to undergrad festival --> went to friends' wedding --> went back to lake --> relaxed for two weeks --> moved to school --> started school.

One of my favorite summers ever.

I pre-studied because it made me feel better about taking three months off school. I hadn't taken any time off school or work in like 4-6 years before graduating from college and I was really uncomfortable with the idea of doing nothing. I wouldn't say it helped me, but it did make me feel better. That being said, after graduating vet school, I mainly rode my horses, worked out a lot, and played videogames. I did some studying and reviewing on topics I knew were pertinent for my internship but I didn't study every day. I actually feel way better using my time this way.

You're about to enter the time of your life where vacation time dwindles, and school holidays sneak away from you. Enjoy your guilt-free time off as long as you can.