What is the acceptance percentage of DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malcolm X

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2014-2015 or perhaps 2013-2014.

Are there official statistics??

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an aggregate statistic for all DO schools? What about a breakdown for each individual school?

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember correctly it's 38-44%. But this statistic is problematic and useless because far too many people apply to DO schools with stats as low as 3.0/20.

Likewise the acceptance ratios for schools are hard to parse out. It likely is close to 10% being interviewed ; with people after interview being 50-70% accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
40% of all DO applicants get accepted to a DO school?
Isn't that really high?

Isn't that really high?
Not really when you consider the generally accepted stat that about 45% of MD applicants are accepted to an MD school. Keep in mind that in either case there are tons of examples of people who don't apply to realistic schools, apply with stats that are very unlikely to garner an II let alone acceptance, and people who don't apply broadly enough. These applicants drag down acceptance rates.

Isn't that really high?

It doesn't matter. One cannot infer that an applicant has a 40% chance of getting accepted based on that outcome.

1) schools have different cut offs and preferences, determining how easy or hard it is for an applicant to get in.
2) applicants have different stats, determining how easy or hard it is for a school to screen them out or invite them for an interview.

I think matriculation rates of each school are better predictors of someones chances at the end of the day.

I can't speak for other schools, but at accepted students day for RowanSom, we were told about a 3% acceptance rate.

Most schools get close to 5000 applications per year for a class size of about 150. With rolling admissions, admissions usually accept close to double or triple the number of class size. The acceptance rate is no way close to 40%.

Reactions: 1 users
Acceptance does not equal matriculant

True, but there is no way the number goes from 40% acceptance down to just 4.47% matriculation. Does anyone have a source on that number? That means 90% of applicants who were accepted did not matriculate (or matriculated as an MD)....

True, but there is no way the number goes from 40% acceptance down to just 4.47% matriculation. Does anyone have a source on that number? That means 90% of applicants who were accepted did not matriculate (or matriculated as an MD)....
You're looking at designations (which in the source you posted is called applications) not individual applicants-- there aren't 118K people applying to DO school.

page 3:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstable17.pdf
So, 18,000 people for 6,500 spots.

Last edited:
If you have over a 3.5 gpa and 26 MCAT you will get in somewhere if you apply to quite a few- assuming you're not insane. Not too hard IMO

No it does. Each school accepts/matriculates about 3-5% of its total applicants but add that number for each program and you can get to 40 percent overall pretty easily. We know for certain that with 18000 aps and 6500 slots, that something like 37ish percent overall will get in this year. Every DO school will fill its slots. But they will only accept 3-5% of overall applicants each.

Most schools get close to 5000 applications per year for a class size of about 150. With rolling admissions, admissions usually accept close to double or triple the number of class size. The acceptance rate is no way close to 40%.

But those 5000 applicants are applying to several schools. So if you apply to 10 places and gain 1 acceptance, that student has been accepted to medical school despite 9 rejections. In other words, the individual acceptance rates for each school is low, but the overall acceptance rate (for all applicants who get in somewhere) is relatively high.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's see, at my school, we get around 5000+ apps.

We interview ~500

We accept ~250.

We seat ~100.

You do the math.

Similar numbers to my school, at PCOM during my year they said they recieved ~8k applicants, interviewed 600, accepted ~400 for 270 seats