What is the age of the youngest person in your M1 class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doobz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested to see who is the youngest in the country

Members don't see this ad.

We have 2 people that turned 21 this year. There are plenty of 18 year olds in the combined undergrad-med school programs, and I know a year or two ago LSU supposedly had a couple of 18 year olds (according to a friend).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have personally interviewed a 16 year old student who entered our M1 class shortly after she turned 17 (I think, she might have still been 16). She started undergrad at 13. US Allopathic school.

We had a 21 in my class. Youngest I ever heard of (not at my school, former coworker) graduated from medical school at 16, finished her surgical residency at 21, then did a fellowship in peds surgery. She's in her 30s with over a decade of OR experience now, and crazy smart.

ive heard all the stories about the crazy young people in the past but i guess i'm curious about M1's from this year

We had a 21 in my class. Youngest I ever heard of (not at my school, former coworker) graduated from medical school at 16, finished her surgical residency at 21, then did a fellowship in peds surgery. She's in her 30s with over a decade of OR experience now, and crazy smart.

Good lord, a 12-year-old medical student? I quit.

We have a 20 year old in my class at a U.S. Allopathic school. He went to high school in Palestine before finishing undergrad here last year.

Good lord, a 12-year-old medical student? I quit.
Wait, I double-checked, she finished college when she was 16, not medical school, and started surgical residency at 20. My bad.

Best peds surgeon I've ever worked with in any case, she's amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are three 20 yr olds ay my school. Two came from BS/MD programs. At times, their young age is very apparent...

No one under 21 in my year's class. Gap year people are the majority.

This may sounds crazy, but I think I know who this attending is. I, too, have worked with her before. She was such a lovable surgeon.

Back to the question, my friend is 18 years old, M1, in allopathic. Went to CC at age 14, transfered to a university, graduated at 17, then got in.

Reactions: 1 users
Our age range is 20-39 years old, but I think only five or six students are 30+. MANY students married with or without kids.

This might sound crazier, but my class of 168 has an average age of 22.04! We have a lot of 21 year olds (a lot of whom have fall or winter birthdays), and there is a rumor among a lot of us that the youngest is 19. There is also very few older people (older than 24-25). Most people I talk to are 21 or 22. Sounds unbelievable, but I talked to the dean of admissions and she said that this is the youngest class in a long time.

interesting guys. i'm a 19 year old M1 this year so it seems like there might be a few more young ones like me in the country? luckily I'm super tall so a lot of people don't really know. our class ranges from 19-41 so its pretty crazy.

Man I remember when I was in elementary school and the 6th graders seemed so big and cool. Now I think of 22 year olds as kids.

Reactions: 6 users
Youngest I've ever known is a friend of mine who was in the Penn State/Jefferson 6 year program, entering med school at 19 and currently 23 and a 4th year med student

Real question is who is the oldest. I think my class tops out at 32 (was 32 first year)

Real question is who is the oldest. I think my class tops out at 32 (was 32 first year)
We've got a student in their mid-40s. Granted, that's not even the oldest my school has ever taken- they took a guy in his mid-50s a few years back.

we've got 2 foreign exchange students in our MS2 class who are either 18 or 19, i forget which. They do a 6 year program straight out of high school or something like that.

I can't even imagine trying to learn the material we're learning right now at 18 years old.

we've got 2 foreign exchange students in our MS2 class who are either 18 or 19, i forget which. They do a 6 year program straight out of high school or something like that.

I can't even imagine trying to learn the material we're learning right now at 18 years old.

I think there's a lot of 18 year olds (yourself included, probably) that would have no problem with most med school material. I mean, most undergrad engineering classes are more difficult than the average med school class. The real issue is the volume and having the maturity and time management skills to get it done.

Reactions: 1 user
Age range when i started M1 was I believe 17 (or 18, I can't remember, but I think 17 who would turn 18 not too soon after matriculation) to 40.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there's a lot of 18 year olds (yourself included, probably) that would have no problem with most med school material. I mean, most undergrad engineering classes are more difficult than the average med school class. The real issue is the volume and having the maturity and time management skills to get it done.

Yeah, that's precisely what I'm talking about. I'm old now and am mature enough to spend 5-15 hours a day studying everything, whereas at 18 I was much more occupied with beer and babes.

There's a 20 year old in my class

I went to an Admissions Panel round table for Premeds at WashU a few years ago (boy was that a bundle of fun, learned my lesson about hanging around other premeds). I believe the dean told us they had a student in their 50s.

We have a grandma and a 21 year old in my 2nd year class.

My class has a 20 year old and I believe the M2 class has a set of 18 year old twins.

Entering the present M1 class we have one at 18, turns 19 in December. Three at 19, fourteen at 20...

I find it odd how allowing a 16 year old to perform surgery (regardless of how smart they are), is somehow not a huge legal liability. Sorry you're not old enough to drive on your own, but we'll let you remove this gallbladder instead!

I find it odd how allowing a 16 year old to perform surgery (regardless of how smart they are), is somehow not a huge legal liability. Sorry you're not old enough to drive on your own, but we'll let you remove this gallbladder instead!
I actually corrected myself- she started medical school at 16, not residency, and started her residency at 20.

Age 17. Started CC at age 12 apparently

There was a 19 year old in my M1 class. That's the youngest that I know of in my school.