Dec 9, 2011
Status
i dont khnow if it is the right place to post that question
but can you please tell me what is the amount of radiation from that head ct
which it was head ct with and without contrast

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6459557341

someone told me it is 13 msv and other told me it is 4.8 msv

what do you say?
The effective dose is equal to DLP times a conversion factor. The conversion factor for adult head is around 2 and in pediatrics is close to 7.

So if it is an adult the total dose is roughly 2200 times 2 which is equal to 4400 microSV or 4.4 mSV. I rounded the numbers; your DLP is higher than 2200 and conversion factor is also more than 2.

If it is a Pediatrics the total dose is almost 3-4 times which is about 13-17 mSV, probably around 15 mSV. You can do the math if you want exact numbers, though the calculation is estimated dose and not the exact.

OP
S
Feb 16, 2013
Status
shark2000 thank you for your reply

how can i be sure that i got a conversion factor for an adult head and not for a Pediatric head

because if it is for a Pediatric head that mean i got 13 to 17 msv and that is too much

when i got that scan i was 24

i have the disc i got from the hospital where i can find a proof that i got a conversion rate for an adult head and not for a Pediatric head

please can you help with that im so scared and even crying

thank you so much sir

also as you see my dlp as it is in the picture is less than 2200 it is 2156
total mas 4159
total dlp 2156 mgycm

OP
S
Feb 16, 2013
Status
i just want someone to tell me how can i be sure that in my head ct scan
i got a conversion rate for an adult head and not for an Pediatric head
because when i got my head ct i was 24 years old so my ct was to be for an adult head right?
because if it for an Pediatric head it is from 13 to 17 msv and that is too much
that is why im so scared

and from what i khnow the amount of radiation from a head CT need to be very small

here is a picture from the cd i got from the hospital
total mas 4159
total dlp 2156 mgycm
but i cant find the conversion rate

Dec 9, 2011
Status
i just want someone to tell me how can i be sure that in my head ct scan
i got a conversion rate for an adult head and not for an Pediatric head
because when i got my head ct i was 24 years old so my ct was to be for an adult head right?
because if it for an Pediatric head it is from 13 to 17 msv and that is too much
that is why im so scared

and from what i khnow the amount of radiation from a head CT need to be very small

here is a picture from the cd i got from the hospital
total mas 4159
total dlp 2156 mgycm
but i cant find the conversion rate
Probably I did not explain it well. The conversion factor is not sth that can be set by the tech. It is a calculated number according to the physical characteristics of the organ. In a head CT it simply means if it is a Peds head, the same amount of radiation, penetrates more because of less dense skull bone.

Long story short, in a 24 year adult the amount of effective dose is 4.2 mSV.

Now can I ask why you are so concerned about it?

OP
S
Feb 16, 2013
Status
first of all thank you so much for your answers

you gave me some peace of mind

the reason why im so concerned about it it is because i keep read on the internet
the more radiation you get the more risk of geting a brain tumor from the radiation in the future

if it is 4.2 msv i can deal with it it is something happened and i cant change it
but when i asked that same question on other board a person told me
for
a
total mas 4159
total dlp 2156 mgycm
you get 14 msv and then i start to cry thinking that i destroyed my life by getting that
ct scan.

and now you told me that the amount of radiation i get in my ct scan is 4.2 msv
and now i can feel better again

thank you sir for your help

C

cowme

Maybe you should take a deep breath, and relax.

You probably got ~4-5 msv of exposure (for comparison, the average background radiation that everyone is exposed to in the US is ~ 2.5 - 3.0 msv per year).