• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

What is the amount that is considered "too much extracurriculars"

jtran001

Dec 30, 2011
UC Irvine
    I am interested and concerned about this subject, because I do not know what is the amount of extracurriculars (volunteer, research, etc) that is considered to be a laundry list. I will be having leadership in all of my extracurriculars and am allocating all of my effort and time equally to all of my activities. But I have like 10+ activities and I am a leader in 7 of those activities.

NOTE: I am NOT trolling, so please do not report me. The last time I posted something of utmost importance, I was labeled as a troll. I am completely serious. I am scared that medical school will think of me as a "laundry list" type applicant, and I do not want that to happen. However, I can not and will not drop my extracurriculars, and I am currently maintaining a 4.0 (my school is a tier #1 school) . I have not taken the MCAT yet so I do not know the turn out

Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and sensible comments.

JustMeditate

Not a potato!
    Jan 20, 2011
    1. Medical Student
      You are only allowed to list 15 activities on your AMCAS application, so plan your time out wisely. Half of those activities should NOT be student orgs. You want a wide variety of extracurriculars, including clinical volunteer work, nonclinical volunteer work, shadowing, research, teaching/tutoring, leadership, and some unique hobbies/activities.

About the Ads

Nymphicus

good policy is medicine for society
      Moderator Emeritus
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      May 17, 2010
      1. Attending Physician
        "Too much" is when your GPA starts suffering or if you don't give yourself enough time to study for the MCAT

Too much is you getting overwhelmed with EC's more than you do your classes.

As one of my faculty interviewers succinctly put it, what's the point of doing all these great things if you can't pass your classes?

varsityblue

Lifetime Donor
        Dec 15, 2011
        1. Medical Student
          You are only allowed to list 15 activities on your AMCAS application, so plan your time out wisely. Half of those activities should NOT be student orgs. You want a wide variety of extracurriculars, including clinical volunteer work, nonclinical volunteer work, shadowing, research, teaching/tutoring, leadership, and some unique hobbies/activities.

+1. I'd say that you should be spending 40% of your time on academics, 50% of your time on extracurriculars, and 10% of your time on social obligations. If you are unable to maintain that kind of balance, I recommend you pick up a copy of Cal Newport's How to Win at College.

V5RED

PGY-2 Family Medicine
          Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Jan 13, 2011
          1. Medical Student
            +1. I'd say that you should be spending 40% of your time on academics, 50% of your time on extracurriculars, and 10% of your time on social obligations. If you are unable to maintain that kind of balance, I recommend you pick up a copy of Cal Newport's How to Win at College.

0% for sleeping and eating?

varsityblue

Lifetime Donor
            Dec 15, 2011
            1. Medical Student
              0% for sleeping and eating?

Hahahaha, yup! Ideally you should just cut out sleeping and eating to make room for more important pursuits: playing chess and thinking. :p Kidding, of course.

During the intervals when you aren't performing basic body functions, you should be doing one of the following: studying, attending classes, working out, socializing with friends, and doing your ECs at a really high level. ;)

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.