SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What is the AOA?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by GGale, Apr 10, 2001.

1. GGale

GGale Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2001
    I've heard several references to the AOA and its importance if you're interested in a competitive residency. WHat is it and why is it important?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2001
    Indiana
    I don't remember what the letters stand for, but basically it is the people in the top 10% of the med school class. These people are invited to join the AOA. Some specialties are so competitive that the saying is "AOA or no way".

------------------
    Rob
    http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

4. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    AOA is Alpha Omega Alpha. It's the MD equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa for undergraduates.

------------------
    Tim Wu.

5. DrSRBS

DrSRBS Member 10+ Year Member

May 22, 2000
    Lansing, MI, USA
    Yes, the AOA is the unfortunate abbrieviation of Alpha Omega Alpha, which is often misconstrued by DO students with the American Osteopathic Association. To be eligible, you must have a 95th percentile standing in your class. It is a tremendous bolster to your residency application.

Also, if you're a DO, (as far as I know), you're not eligible to be elected to AOA. However, you can be elected to SSP -- Sigma Sigma Phi, the analogous organization for DOs.

Scott Strom
    MSUCOM2004

6. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I dont' believe SSP is the exact equivalent of the AOA. At NSU-COM, anyways, its not the top 5% of the class, its more people who do community service, etc. I think the only GPA requirements are that you have above an 80% (B average).

7. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2000
    kansas city, mo, usa
    American Osteopathic Association .. I get a newsletter from them. Dont know if thats what youre looking for. :)

8. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!! Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Tampa
    The AOA is also the American Optometric Association. I had to fill out paperwork to become a member of the AOSA (american optometric student's association) for the Fall. So, now there's THREE things.
    :D

9. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!! Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Tampa
    I just did a Yahoo search on the initials AOA.. I also found..

THE AUSTRAILIAN OLIVE ASSOCIATION (AOA)

:eek:

10. shmoo

shmoo Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Looks like we have some competition...

11. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Detroit
    SSP invites the top 30% of the class to apply for membership. If you have a lot of extracurricular interests and activities plus good grades, you might get in. Some of the top students I know have not been accepted.

12. Cassidy61

Cassidy61 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2001
    AOA is different at every school. In fact, some schools don't even have AOA (ie. Mayo Medical School). At some places, it is truly a kiss butt club that is not necessarily the top numbers people. At our medical school (which I think is a good representation) junior AOA is given to the top 3% of M3s bases solely on first and second year grades and board scores. Senior AOA encompasses the next 10% and puts more weight on the third year clerkship grades. They still look at first year, second year and board scores, but much less so. Needless to say, some people out there like to let you know that not only are they AOA, but JUNIOR AOA!