What is the "average" amount of II an applicant gets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednovice12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone is different but this is just to get an idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends.

Anecdotally, seems like average applicants get 1 interview per 3-5 secondaries completed, more if you're an attractive candidate.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Depends.

Anecdotally, seems like average applicants get 1 interview per 3-5 secondaries completed, more if you're an attractive candidate.

Even 1 in 3 is probably way too much. That’s 10 interviews for 30 apps which is a fairly strong showing.

If I were to take a guess, I would estimate:

1 acceptance per 4 interviews attended
Average number of acceptances for a successful applicant is 1
So most successful apps probably get between 3-7 interviews in one season.

Many have silence the entire cycle.

I’ve also seen people interview everywhere they applied.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even 1 in 3 is probably way too much. That’s 10 interviews for 30 apps which is a fairly strong showing.

If I were to take a guess, I would estimate:

1 acceptance per 4 interviews attended
Average number of acceptances for a successful applicant is 1
So most successful apps probably get between 3-7 interviews in one season.

Many have silence the entire cycle.

I’ve also seen people interview everywhere they applied.

What would you guess the ratio of interviews:secondaries to be?

For reference...I was a very middle of the road candidate by SDN standards.

11 Secondaries —> 6 Interviews —> ~55%
No II to reach schools though.

If you use the MSAR appropriately and write good essays you’ll have a better shot than riding on your merits (GPA, MCAT, Hours, Pubs).

I agree with above posters that this ratio means little. Too many variables.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Is this MSQ survey data so it just represents matriculant data as does the MSAR. I dont know of a source that might give applicant, interview, acceptance data.

Just another fun fact is that at any individual school, 80%+ of applicants must be rejected prior to II simply based on available interview slots. Purely based on this, more that 1 interview per 5 schools would be better than chance. But then of course 58.8% of statistics are horse hockey

Much depends on targetting applications. Many applicants have no business applying or they apply to the wrong schools and they end up without any interviews. With good targeting, applicants can be very successful.
For reference...I was a very middle of the road candidate by SDN standards.

11 Secondaries —> 6 Interviews —> ~55%
No II to reach schools though.

I was a solid applicant (according to SDN). I applied to 15 schools and received 4 interviews with 2 acceptances a 2 waitlists that I withdrew from. I think its really hit or miss but the 1 interview per 3-5 applications sounds about right

Do these numbers include D.O. schools or strictly M.D. schools?

From what I've seen, It's typically 3-5 interviews for like 30 apps and then like 1-3 acceptances.
But everyone is different

Members don't see this ad :)
My results from last cycle were:
1 II/6 Apps for MDs
11 IIs/26 Apps for DOs (attended 4) -> (2 acceptances)

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

This is silly. I think we are all old enough to know how affirmative action works. They keep in mind that they need diversity in order to meet certain quotas. That doesn’t mean they are just interviewing every minority that applies. I know plenty of URM with decent stats who didn’t get a single interview.

Interview is based on FIT, stats and EC/letters. To think that race alone would give a person such an inherent boost is simply finding a convenient outlet for your own insecurities and frustrations.

Lol. And PS I am not an URM.
I interpreted that comment as saying that a small amount of applicants get a lot of interviews, and that most applicants get few to zero interviews. Not actual URMs or ORMs...

Reactions: 4 users
I interpreted that comment as saying that a small amount of applicants get a lot of interviews, and that most applicants get few to zero interviews. Not actual URMs or ORMs...

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ahhhhhh CARS. The most underappreciated MCAT subsection.

In that case I am mistaken. I’ve been seeing a lot of people on the forums making such claims so I thought it was another occurrence. My apologies!

Reactions: 2 users
My thoughts exactly.

Gyngyn was using minority/majority in the original mathematical sense of the words. Simply put, a relatively small pool of applicants get a ton of interviews and the remainder get none or few. This same point has been made by others on this forum.

Gyngyn was using minority/majority in the original mathematical sense of the words. Simply put, a relatively small pool of applicants get a ton of interviews and the remainder get none or few. This same point has been made by others on this forum.

Yes...I was agreeing with that.

It all depends on your school list imo. An exceptional Harvard caliber applicant might have 20 II out of 30 primaries if he mainly apps to state/mid tier schools. On the flip side, an average applicant might come in reporting they have 0 II from only applying to all T20 schools.

I was a weak applicant and interviewed at 5 schools, but my school list favored smart choices (in-state, lots of DO).

A statistic in this would be worthless because everyone chooses school lists differently. I have multiple classmates who only applied to our school.

I was a weak applicant and interviewed at 5 schools, but my school list favored smart choices (in-state, lots of DO).

A statistic in this would be worthless because everyone chooses school lists differently. I have multiple classmates who only applied to our school.

Some serious cajones there

Some serious cajones there

I’ve met doctors who suicide-matched for RESIDENCY. I just don’t understand how freaking ballsy they are... I mean, I’m sure they got told to rank to match, but still... That is terrifying to me