What is the best anatomy resources for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that there was not an anatomy section of First Aid. What do you guys recommend as the most effective and least overkill resource for anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

the best anatomy source, is no anatomy source. use fa.

Anatomy is included in the pertinent organ system (lung anatomy in respiratory, heart anatomy in cardio, etc). Just look at FA. Anatomy is extremely low yield and that time can be spent elsewhere earning more points.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest High Yeild Neuroanatomy - it helped me (some) - but I got A LOT of relatively obscure questions re: to specific neuro anatomy.

I would suggest High Yeild Neuroanatomy - it helped me (some) - but I got A LOT of relatively obscure questions re: to specific neuro anatomy.

Is there a specific edition of HY neuroanatomy that is efficient? I know that they seem to like to tack on more and more pages with each passing edition, and more often than not the extra information is not that useful.

Let me correct my previous posting. Neuro anatomy is high yield (cross sections, blood supply, CT scans, MRIs, etc). It's the rest of the anatomy that isn't high yield.

Anatomy is not worth spending more than one day on, if that. Your time is much better spent studying other things.

Know the really commonly tested musculoskeletal and nerve injuries (ie only the ones in FA, no more, no less) and maybe some cross-sectional abdominal and thoracic stuff. Other than that, as long as you still have a vague idea about where everything's supposed to be you should be alright.

HY Neuroanatomy is worth going through though. It probably doesn't really matter which edition, you'll get enough to be able to answer most neuroanatomy questions and they're all pretty thin books.

Anatomy is not worth spending more than one day on, if that. Your time is much better spent studying other things.

Know the really commonly tested musculoskeletal and nerve injuries (ie only the ones in FA, no more, no less) and maybe some cross-sectional abdominal and thoracic stuff. Other than that, as long as you still have a vague idea about where everything's supposed to be you should be alright.

HY Neuroanatomy is worth going through though. It probably doesn't really matter which edition, you'll get enough to be able to answer most neuroanatomy questions and they're all pretty thin books.

Thank god, so you don't need to know like every branch of the maxillary artery or sphenopalatine nerve or anything?

Thank god, so you don't need to know like every branch of the maxillary artery or sphenopalatine nerve or anything?

Nope, not at all. You barely even need to know that there IS a maxillary artery or a sphenopalatine nerve.

I didn't study for anatomy and embryology besides what was in First Aid.