What is the Best DESK reference for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chandler742

Removed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Harrison's or Cecil's?

If you don't mind. Pick one and justify it from your own experience.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For the first two years, I'd say a Stedman's dictionary. I've really never had to refer to Harrison's for anything that was in the notes/syllabus/text, but I've gone to the dictionary hundreds of times.

Hi

It's your choice. Take a look at each one and see what fits you best. They are comparable in content.

lf

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I love Harrisons - not that I use it all that often, but when I just want to know those little nit-picking details just for the sake of it, Harrison's has it - although it is huge and expensive. I've never used Cecils so I wouldn't know about it. Day to day, I find Kumar and Clark: Clinical Medicine and Robbins Pathophysiology of Disease far more useful and yes, I probably use both of those every day.

Have you thought about CMDT. I am a second year and during first year all I heard about was Cecil or Harrison. One faithful day at the book store I stumbled upon CMDT. I rocked out on the PBLs and many of my classmates traded their Harrisons for a CMDT. I personally find it much easier to follow. From what I can gather the two books that you mentioned are probably filled with more information; however, during the first year there is no way you need (or can use) all of it. I won't speak for the second year except to say that I have complete faith in my CMDT.
Good luck with whatever you pick!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! I did a little due diligence, and I completely agree with you. This book rocks. In fact, the annual updates for CMDT are a joke. I say you can get by with a 2002, or a 2003 edition.

I even noticed that one of the contributing authors for CMDT was Stephen Mcphee(from UCSF). The same guy that wrote pathophysiology of disease. Is it just me, or does most of Cecil's and CMDT's authors come from UCSF. This medical school rocks!!!

mpsheeha said:
Have you thought about CMDT. I am a second year and during first year all I heard about was Cecil or Harrison. One faithful day at the book store I stumbled upon CMDT. I rocked out on the PBLs and many of my classmates traded their Harrisons for a CMDT. I personally find it much easier to follow. From what I can gather the two books that you mentioned are probably filled with more information; however, during the first year there is no way you need (or can use) all of it. I won't speak for the second year except to say that I have complete faith in my CMDT.

mpsheeha said:

What is CMDT an acronym for??? I wanted to look it up on amazon but I don't know what it stands for

Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment.

P.S. They all have approximately the same information +/- some level of annoying minutae that you will never need to know.

CMDT is a great book, but it is heavily pushed here b/c it is a home grown book. Dr. Tierney is awesome and is the director of medicine at SFVA. Dr. Papadakis is involved in a much of the preclinical curricula in the first two years and attends on the wards as well. I am pretty sure that McPhee attends at Moffit, but I am not certain. Needless to say, we love that book here. I think it is a great resource for PBL type curricula, and it is obviously awesome for 3rd year clerkships.

Some of the other Lange books are great as well. I'm interested in gastroenterology and another UCSF faculty member (Kenneth McQuaid) is the editor of that Current Guide to Diagonsis and Treatment of Gastroenterology. Other classmates I know say that the Current's for surgery is really good as well.