What is the best emergency contraception

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best emergency contraception? Does it depend on conditions or is it relatively the same in all?

UWorld say ---- IUD

NBME answer says---- High Dose OCP

?

Members don't see this ad.

relatively the same. but it absolutely depends on how far out you are--copper IUDs work as far out as 5 days. i'm not sure about other options. i'm surprised that question was asked.

The NBME question had IUD as an answer choice too?
From what I understand IUD placement is best because it doesn't matter if ovulation has already occurred or not.

Fairly sure the copper IUD works best as emergency contraception. I had read that somewhere. I don't recall reading anything about a progesterone-analogue IUD for placement though. The toxic effects of the copper are likely what do the trick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fairly sure the copper IUD works best as emergency contraception. I had read that somewhere. I don't recall reading anything about a progesterone-analogue IUD for placement though. The toxic effects of the copper are likely what do the trick.
At least in the United States it's either one: http://www.hhs.gov/opa/reproductive-health/contraception/emergency-contraception/

I personally would have gone with the morning after pill which is high dose birth control which you can get at any quick stop at the pharmacy rather than wait for a doctor/nurse to insert an IUD.

I choose IUD and got it wrong, that's why I asked weird, I guess it was an old NBME and things have changed now. I think they maybe we're going for the price factor and the other was post intercouse day 1,

In real life I guess would just go to the corner store and get the pill rather than go to a doctor and get an IUD, although IUD would be more effective in prevention, I hope they don't give a question like that again

I didn't really pay attention to it's predictions, I stuck with NBME 4 and UWSA, they're good predictors. I haven't seen many people discussing it.