What is the best experience you have on your application resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see the caliber of experiences on the pre-meds applications.
So what did you do that you think stands out from the others?

Members don't see this ad.

Official NCAA pool organizer for my research group (4 years, 50+ hours)

Veteran of both OIF and OEF working in Combat Hospitals. Also did numerous outreach humanitarian things while over there, all while getting SHOT at.

Members don't see this ad :)
filmed rock shows (met folks like slash, reed, rotten, etc)
*of course I did not mention names
and I'm your typical asian premed

Probably me being a US OPEN ballboy. Chasing a ball and being invisible while being watched by millions turns out to be harder than it seems haha. Definitely had my "moments" like backing up in to a player's chair, giving the wrong player the other player's towel (she didn't like that, but hey I had just subbed in), and hunting down a praying mantis (those things bite hard) by the request of the head umpire haha.

American Idol Top 24 Season 3. sigh....
I worked for over a decade in EMS, respiratory therapy and echocardiography (that's something on the order of 36,000 hours). Now I work full time in research. I am not sure which of those is a big bullet on my resume. I am also a veteran of OEF.

Nice Dienekes 1000th post!

Spent a year and a half in Kenya teaching Math/Sci at a secondary school within Tsavo West before being evacuated.... best experience of my life. I wanna go back. Naomba kwamba nitarudi tena...

jeff

8 months in Sub-Saharan Africa including malaria research in Madagascar and working in an HIV/AIDS clinic in Rwanda

I saved twelve Ethernopian children from a pack of baboons and was made chieftan of their tribe.

Being on an 8 person board that put on speeches to 5000+ students by Kofi Annan, Ishmael Beah, and Madeline Albright, and having dinner with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a poster in my sophomore year on parakeet metabolic rates at the Annual Physiological Ecology Conference at white mtn research station in Bishop, CA. And an additional poster on St John's wort genomic studies at my university.

I have also been a TA for Human Anatomy and Human Physiology classes.

Nothing too thrilliing.:luck:

probably my entire Peace Corps service which encompasses a malaria control project, health outreach treks into the bush, and working with a women's group to plan projects and expand an existing women's center.

Adult Film Star
Assistant director of Conditioning, Michael Vick's Academy for Canine Excellence
Spent 18 years in a cultural immersion experience in rural Ohio teaching ebonics to overprivileged white kids (ORM's = overrepresented majority)

Alright, I know I'm gonna hear it over that second one, but please realize this lil bit of sarcasm just relieved my stress headache... but seriously...

As for the real stuff:
Literacy tutor for inner city elementary kids
research on geckos (polymer engineering and Bio-inspired materials)
research abroad in Tahiti (arguably the most enjoyable :p)

Adult Film Star
Assistant director of Conditioning, Michael Vick's Academy for Canine Excellence
Spent 18 years in a cultural immersion experience in rural Ohio teaching ebonics to overprivileged white kids (ORM's = overrepresented majority)

Alright, I know I'm gonna hear it over that second one, but please realize this lil bit of sarcasm just relieved my stress headache... but seriously...

As for the real stuff:
Literacy tutor for inner city elementary kids
research on geckos (polymer engineering and Bio-inspired materials)
research abroad in Tahiti (arguably the most enjoyable :p)
Research on geckos? That's cool....but then again, I am all for any excuse to mess with lizards.

Probably me being a US OPEN ballboy. Chasing a ball and being invisible while being watched by millions turns out to be harder than it seems haha. Definitely had my "moments" like backing up in to a player's chair, giving the wrong player the other player's towel (she didn't like that, but hey I had just subbed in), and hunting down a praying mantis (those things bite hard) by the request of the head umpire haha.

:laugh:, I always wondered what it would be like to be one of those ballboys

Hurricane Katrina relief. The most humbling experience of my life. Ms. Melanie's home collapsed from the second story down and only the fireplace stood. Here's a photo to just show how quickly you can be humbled to have a roof over your head:

Probably the most relevant is my 4 years of working as a scrub tech, but I think the best experience is that I'm a 2-time Brazilian jiu jitsu champion.

I worked for over a decade in EMS, respiratory therapy and echocardiography (that's something on the order of 36,000 hours). Now I work full time in research. I am not sure which of those is a big bullet on my resume. I am also a veteran of OEF.

Are you DropkickMurphy? You sound like you could be his twin with that list of activities.

Hurricane Katrina relief. The most humbling experience of my life. Ms. Melanie's home collapsed from the second story down and only the fireplace stood. Here's a photo to just show how quickly you can be humbled to have a roof over your head:
One of the worst experience I ever had was as a diver looking for victims of a tornado that had thrown several trailers into a pond. We were diving in water the color of black coffee and worked largely by feel. If nothing demonstrates how fragile human life is, it is finding a victim by literally feeling their hair sticking out of the wreckage and then coming to the horrible realization that it belongs to a child. It's also the only time I've ever vomited underwater.

Probably the most relevant is my 4 years of working as a scrub tech, but I think the best experience is that I'm a 2-time Brazilian jiu jitsu champion.
No, no.....Jew jitsu. Get it right man ;)

I also lived in another country for a bit, but nothing exciting really happened. I play in a band that has had music on the radio. I'm also a staff writer for a science mag and a freelance photographer with stuff published. The research I'm doing is cool, but I doubt it stands out really. I'm president of the Jew club at my school, but lots of people have that kind of stuff.

I also lived in another country for a bit, but nothing exciting really happened. I play in a band that has had music on the radio. I'm also a staff writer for a science mag and a freelance photographer with stuff published. The research I'm doing is cool, but I doubt it stands out really. I'm president of the Jew club at my school, but lots of people have that kind of stuff.
Hillel (spelling?) or some other "Jew club"? :laugh:

P. vivax or P. ovale?

I did qualitative research on malaria control and prevention, so not lab work, but it was falciparum and vivax for the most part.

I started my own organization while in college that was inspired by a suicide on campus and increased mental health awareness on campus. We started a newsletter for freshmen and increased awareness of our pscyhological and counseling center during orientation and throughout the year to all students.

I'm an Orphan and former foster child who started an outreach organization to help foster children and orphans succeed in life and through college by being an advocate and also sending donated supplies. Also wrote a book for Foster Children. Going to eventually go to Peace Corps.

PC is great, go to afrika, you'll love it....

Spent 4 months in Ghana, Africa volunteering at a hospital and doing medical outreach to schools and villages. Did some cool things at the hospital like minor surgeries too.
Also spent time at the orphanage, helping kids read, taking them swimming, playing, etc.

Hillel (spelling?) or some other "Jew club"? :laugh:

Haha, yeah, Hillel. We're only affiliated with them insofar as we're on the listing. We do our own thing though and go by a different name.

toured US, Canada, and Europe with a punk rock band from chicago....

Got a Masters and two other bachelors in the standard 4 years.

Wait, that makes me a dork.

Research on geckos? That's cool....but then again, I am all for any excuse to mess with lizards.

Yah its pretty cool- definitely different than my microbiology interests, but the prof and grads working on the project are really cool, and it has been really interesting. I also liked that its a collaborative project between different disciplines- out polymer science and engineering departments are world renowned so getting to work some of those guys that are just insanely smart is pretty fun. Plus, we have multiple species of geckos, and for someone who has never owned/dabbled with herps, its a pretty in depth learning experience and its been fun.

Wow. I feel like I shouldn't have gotten into med school after hearing everyone's ECs.

I rode my bike and raced a few triathlons. It was pretty cool.

Holy crap, you're a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I don't think that most people on this board know how much of an accomplishment that is. Very awesome.
I train it too, but not at the level that you do. I got my Blue belt from Jacare Cavalcanti a few years ago, and I'm working my way up. God I love it, though.

Got a Masters and two other bachelors in the standard 4 years.

Wait, that makes me a dork.
Your whole app makes you a dork. But I'm certainly happy for you for having such an impressive cycle based on an obviously compelling application. Congrats, man.

Started and have since been leading an international non-profit that assists grassroots NGOs in Africa connect with (qualified) volunteers, project funding, and assistance in financial management and grant writing.

In my LOIs I also mentioned that I am well on my way to becoming a master sommelier, which may supersede the prior. =)

Are you DropkickMurphy? You sound like you could be his twin with that list of activities.

Yes, he is DropkickMurphy. The writing style is the same. The humor is the same. The work experience is the same. He posts on the same topics now than he did before.

I don't think DropckickMurphy and Genetics are going to get in any arguments any time soom becuase I don't think Genetics spends time on here anymore.

Holy crap, you're a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I don't think that most people on this board know how much of an accomplishment that is. Very awesome.
I train it too, but not at the level that you do. I got my Blue belt from Jacare Cavalcanti a few years ago, and I'm working my way up. God I love it, though.

Yeah, it's great. I have black belts in Brazilian jiu jitsu and Judo. I've also won two national championships. I think it's a wonderful sport because the camaraderie that is fostered between fellow "rollers" makes the whole thing just an enjoyable experience, even when competing against each other. I've never beat or been beaten by someone who I didn't like afterwards. :thumbup: