what is the best implant CE course for GPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i am a general dentist.
I am really interested in learning to place implants. and I would like to know most efficient way of learning to place implants.
can you guys suggest me some implant CE courses or programs for GPs?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Perio or OMS residency... all the others are just trying to sell you stuff :)

Edit: You asked for the best, right?

All joking aside, if you don't want to specialize then the best way to gain knowledge about implants is through various CE courses - many of which are provided by the various implant companies. HOWEVER, take these courses with a HUGE grain of salt, they are trying to sell you their implants and will, many times, try to sell you on a false sense of security and claim all implants are "easy" - remember, they could care less about your future surgical complications as long you buy their product.. so start slow and always have a mentor (preferably a Perio or OMS, NOT the implant company rep, who, again, only wants to sell you their product and most likely isn't even a dentist) to ask questions/shadow/talk cases.. and NO, dentaltown is NOT a substitute for a "real life" mentor (that's cowboy-land)..

Last edited:
Join a study club and develop close relationships with OMS, Perio, Ortho and Pros. They'll help you do the simple stuff with the understanding you refer complicated cases. The weekend courses and "mini-residencies" teach just enough to get you into trouble. However, there are a few reputable courses giving nutshell explanations of advanced procedures, to find those check the recommendations at dentaltown.com. Beware of dentaltown and dentalxp.com by the way. Many of the providers there are excellent and many giving advice are so ignorant after a mini-residency they don't even realize they are ignorant. People there are posting cases baffled why their implants are losing bone yet the placement is such garbage it would earn them license restriction if reported to the dental board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Residency. its 4 years of pain and gain, but just think of all the CE you get.

Hi,
i am a general dentist working in NJ, graduated dental school last year.
I am really interested in learning to place implants. and I would like to know most efficient way of learning to place implants.
can you guys suggest me some implant CE courses or programs for GPs?
thanks.
Try looking up white cap. I know some people who took the class and said they like it.

Try looking up white cap. I know some people who took the class and said they like it.

White Cap is an expensive course that really doesn't do much more than instill a false sense of confidence. It's a weekend or week long duration and they call it an "Implant Fellowship". This is not only misleading to the dentist but also to the patients. To most a Fellowship is completed after rigorous residency training. My .02

A residency where you get training from the surgical professionals OMFS, Perio is ideal. Know your limits if you do take a weekend course.

Anybody can place a screw in bone, but it needs to be restoratively-driven. There are some good courses/continuums out there. Search on dentaltown, but here are a few to get you started in your search: Dr Garg, Engel Institute, misch, and California implant institute.

There are some good courses you can take if you don't want to do a residency. In addition to those meniton, another good place to start is the AAID or American Academy of Implant Dentistry. I do disagree with an earlier post and do not recommend implant seminars run by Dr. Arun Garg.