what is the best option after PharmD, Phd or Mba??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phrDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my pharmD last year and now i was thinking about getting admission in Phd in pharmacology but many seniors and friends have told me that it is of no use to you if you are thinking about a better paid position afterwards rather they suggest going for Mba as it'll take 2 years maximum and my field of work will be the same and it is the only thing which will give a boost to my salary. Bottom line is, Mba is the best option if you seek a boost in your career and salary.
I thought this forum might help me deciding.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do research get the Ph.D. If you want to work your way up in a corporate chain or manage your own pharmacy get the MBA.

You should do a search on this forum. MBA is not very useful if you don't have a lot or prior work experience

Members don't see this ad :)
MBA is useless without at least 3 years of work experience and it's not required to own your own practice. Most of the successful independents that I know of are run by non-MBA pharmacists.

Seriously. If you're in a PharmD/MBA program fresh out of undergrad, drop your business classes TODAY.

Why another degree? See what you can do with your Pharmd first and then go back if you feel an urge. From my limited knowledge, MBAs are a dime a dozen and not worth it for a lot of people.

Why another degree? See what you can do with your Pharmd first and then go back if you feel an urge. From my limited knowledge, MBAs are a dime a dozen and not worth it for a lot of people.

I agree. A certificate would be much better utilized than another Master's degree -- when you already have a Doctorate, anyways.

Thank you all for your comments, It's just that If i'll go for Phd it'll be right now But I'm more interested in earning money and working up to my own business or something. So I think I'll work for now and go for Mba if needed so sometime later. After i have enough experience

^ it also depends on your type of experience. If your experience is retail or community then am MBA is not going to do much.

You have asked yourself: how can an MBA be valuable when anyone can get one online nowadays?

Of course there are exception like an MBA from Harvard or Stanford. I don't think there is much benefit in attending an MBA school that is not ranked in the top 50. Perception especially in business matters greatly.

^ it also depends on your type of experience. If your experience is retail or community then am MBA is not going to do much.

You have asked yourself: how can an MBA be valuable when anyone can get one online nowadays?

Agreed, I have a couple friends in Managed Care who are having their MBas paid for by their employer.

Idk a bachelors in fine arts or tourism might be very helpful.

PharmD MBA is a great option. Granted...don't get your MBA from DeVry or University of Phoenix.

And it's absolutely not true that you have to have 3 years of experience for the MBA to be effective.

If by chance PharmD MBA will get you in the door, you will more than likely to be looked upon for a promotion over those who don't.

No one can take away your education, - legit education.

Reactions: 1 users
PharmD MBA is a great option. Granted...don't get your MBA from DeVry or University of Phoenix.

And it's absolutely not true that you have to have 3 years of experience for the MBA to be effective.

If by chance PharmD MBA will get you in the door, you will more than likely to be looked upon for a promotion over those who don't.

No one can take away your education, - legit education.

What's wrong with DeVry or University of Phoenix?

If you have to ask, then nothing.

I am just about to enroll with DeVry. Its accredited and I don't see any problem with it! Again, lemme ask, what's wrong with them?Anything you would wanna share with us?

I am just about to enroll with DeVry. Its accredited and I don't see any problem with it! Again, lemme ask, what's wrong with them?Anything you would wanna share with us?

If you're going to get an MBA, spend the money and time, why don't you do it at a reputable institution? Say... University of Michigan... University of California... Stanford.. ...

Ahhh... too competitive to get into?

Bingo.

Get your phd and then decide to go back into retail like me! At least you'll learn pK, metabolism, and drug development better than the hack job they do during the PharmD curriculum

They are ridiculously expensive! I looked I to an MBA 3-4 years ago and those schools were so much money. I think total cost was around 60-70k for MBA.

I just missed school. Perhaps you feel the same way. I took some online community college classes to get that need met. Cheaper and more fun and now I have the school craving out of my system.

I'm gonna take this bait since I really effing hate for profit schools and the scams they perpetuate.

They take anyone with a pulse in order to get federal aid dollars. Then if you're lucky enough to graduate, the diploma is worth less than toilet paper since it lacks that quilted, absorbent quality we all know and love. You leave in debt and with zero prospect of getting a high paying job to pay back the debt. The school gets your money. The government is out thousands of dollars on you when you default on your loans. Rinse and repeat.

Community college >>> a for profit school. Accredited does not mean quality as we in pharmacy can attest to.

I suppose I'll chime in as I have an MBA too. Our school offers a full MBA along with the PharmD. I can say during our school's interview day many of the employers were impressed, or at least they said they were. They said it was a great asset and would help me get a job. Curiously, none of them hired me. I think it is more to do with the broken economy than anything. That and saturation as most didn't have positions at the moment.

As has been mentioned (and I sure hope), the MBA should get you toward the front of the line when it comes time for a promotion. My biggest problem is experience. I feel like I have career herpes because I have no experience. Just because you went to school for 185 years, you still don't know ish.