What is the best PHARM book ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a book that is sufficient for Step 1, which means i dont need any other source to ace the pharm portion of Step 1

Members don't see this ad.

How can you possibly read and retain a book of that size for pharm on boards? Is it worth it?

You can try the déjà review series. It's in a q&a format. I haven't used it for class due to time restraints. There micro and immuno one is good. I think first aid gives it an A or B as review resources. I might have an ebook if you want to try it out. I also have Katz as pdf. Katz has a review book with step type questions you can get too for cheap which is an abbreviated format of the bigger book that is nice.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1423930206.852656.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Common criticism about katzung is that it has encyclopedic entries for drugs that haven't existed for a decade. Very low yield unless you have proper direction.

You can try the déjà review series. It's in a q&a format. I haven't used it for class due to time restraints. There micro and immuno one is good. I think first aid gives it an A or B as review resources. I might have an ebook if you want to try it out. I also have Katz as pdf. Katz has a review book with step type questions you can get too for cheap which is an abbreviated format of the bigger book that is nice. View attachment 189367

Have you ever done the questions in that book? They certainly aren't step type. A lot are one liners.

Have you ever done the questions in that book? They certainly aren't step type. A lot are one liners.

I've done some of the questions. I found myself not having a lot of time to use it. Yeah a lot are one liners but from the ones I've done, I like that they test adverse effects. If he wants Katz with questions then I think it's ok. It's still a huge book to use for step prep though.

I've done some of the questions. I found myself not having a lot of time to use it. Yeah a lot are one liners but from the ones I've done, I like that they test adverse effects. If he wants Katz with questions then I think it's ok. It's still a huge book to use for step prep though.

Yea I agree big Katzung is too much for dedicated time, but it most likely has everything you could ever be asked. I like the thieme pharm question book.

Yea I agree big Katzung is too much for dedicated time, but it most likely has everything you could ever be asked. I like the thieme pharm question book.

I haven't heard of that book. I have the déjà review, which I will probably use more during dedicated because I don't have time now. It also have a few clinical vignettes at the end of each chapter with the q&a throughout. I have a PDF I can place on my google drive if someone just want to try it out. I should have been using it more. Oh well, LOL.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424036869.765374.jpg