What is the best practice for reading comprehension beside bootcamp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parvazi

26AA, 23 TS
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't touched the reading part and I want to know what is the best way to practice reading comprehension? Should I buy CDR or Quvalt , Topscore, or is there any other good practice materials? I ant afford buying all of them and english is my second language...

Members don't see this ad.

I think all of those are overkill imo. I would recommend reading scientific articles quickly. My strategy was to create a roadmap while reading and reference that for the questions.

Topscore is too easy. I got a 29 on one of the practice test and got a 21 on the real RC. If you have funds, it wouldn't hurt to buy either CDR or Qvault. I want to say Qvault is better explanations. You can do a free RC thru qvault to see if thats something you'd consider

@parvazi Don't buy any other material for your DAT reading. DAT Bootcamp is enough. If I were you I would read Scientific American articles everyday. Try to read all those articles everyday. They are found at the bottom left of the page on this link:

http://datbootcamp.com/classroom/reading-comprehension/

Read these everyday and you will be fine. Also, look at the links under "Latest Reading Strategy" because they will help you on what method works best for you. You may like to read the entire passage or you may prefer to just do Search and Destroy. Everyone has their own method, but you will find the one that works for you. Also, when you are reading the RC passages try to understand them. If you read them like you don't care about it and you won't learn anything new from it, then you will not do as well. When reading the passages try to have a positive approach to it by reading like you will learn something from it. All the RC topics are science based and since you are going into a science field you should try to enjoy or feel like you will take something positive from it. Also, try to read passages from americanscientist.org as well because they also have science based articles. Definitely post questions on here if you are still confused or need help. I felt kind of bad that I was doing bad on RC with bootcamp, but with practice I was able to do better with it over time. Just read as many of those articles as you can each day and keep practicing.

Reactions: 2 users