What is the best prep for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Test centers or Even CD sets?
THanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's really hard to say. People complain that the Princeton Review and Kaplan courses suck, but I think that depends on your studying.

I took the Princeton Review course (Hyperlearning) during the year (Oct-April). DON"T DO IT! Even though the classes are spread over the year and you have more time to do the assignments, I still had 3 or 4 classes going on.

Even during the quarter of the MCAT, I only took 2 classes, but I still found it difficult to study for the MCAT. I'm a summer person because you only take the MCAT class, and you only concentrate on one thing.

If you're very good at being consistent and studying throughout the year on a daily basis, I recommend the Yearly track October to April I think.

I also heard Kaplan is pretty decent, but that's if you're used to studying on your own and not in a classroom setting. Princeton Review is more classroom setting. Goodluck.

fidelio said:
That's really hard to say. People complain that the Princeton Review and Kaplan courses suck, but I think that depends on your studying.

I took the Princeton Review course (Hyperlearning) during the year (Oct-April). DON"T DO IT! Even though the classes are spread over the year and you have more time to do the assignments, I still had 3 or 4 classes going on.

Even during the quarter of the MCAT, I only took 2 classes, but I still found it difficult to study for the MCAT. I'm a summer person because you only take the MCAT class, and you only concentrate on one thing.

If you're very good at being consistent and studying throughout the year on a daily basis, I recommend the Yearly track October to April I think.

I also heard Kaplan is pretty decent, but that's if you're used to studying on your own and not in a classroom setting. Princeton Review is more classroom setting. Goodluck.

very true. kaplan requires you to have the initiative to take advantage of their massive amounts of online/book/office study material. if you have time and focus to study.... kaplan is the way to go.

my scores were raised by 6 points. and i was already pretty good. i did three month course i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with fidelio, that studying for MCAT/classes in the spring semester is a bad idea. But I took the Princeton Review at the end of my soph. year and it was great. The summer provides me with amble amount of time to study/relax and I would have to say it worked out well. PR provided me with a lot of structure, so it is easier to be on top of thing. Best of luck to you.

Using the kaplan books have helped me out tremendously. They really help you to get down the basics. I think the best preperation though is practice tests. the worst part about the test is taking the test. The AAMC tests were particularly helpful.

I like Kaplan books a lot but their materials aren't that great. I don't like their classes either. I recommend TPR, but I've never met anyone who's finished all phone book like study manuals. Also, Kaplan tends to make their tests easier than they actually should be which seems to give people a false sense of security.

I think Examkrackers and TPR are probably the best. I really like Examkrackers approach across the board, its verbal strategy is one of the best. My score jumped up 2 points in verbal in just two weeks after taking Examkrackers strategy. After 1 week of Examcraker style Chem and Physics my Physical science score went up from an 8 to a 12.

HEME-ONC said:
Test centers or Even CD sets?
THanks

I am definitely one to always go to class because I feel like I gain more knowledge. But, honestly, I feel like I made a huge mistake paying money for Kaplan. The classes are ok, but sometimes its a waste because they will dedicate one whole three hour class to the writing section...and while writing is important, I would much rather be home studying PS. Kaplan topicals are also very difficult and it may discourage you somewhat, all depends on how strong you are in each subject though. I know that for me, Kaplan is just frustrating me, so I ended up buying the full EK set and studying from them instead. I use the Kaplan books once in a while but EK 1001 is a lot better. And I get the questions right and they seem to be on target. Kaplan makes you do all these silly calculations and you always run out of time.