What is the best rewards card right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I think this is the best mix to have in terms of rewards, for those that don't travel a whole lot:

Citi double cash back (the 1% and 1%) one.
Costco Visa (4% on gas)
Discover It card (rotating 5%)
AMEX Everyday (the $75/yr one, 6% groceries)

Substitute out Costco Visa if you're not a member (or if you don't drive a lot) and replace with a similar affinity card for a store you frequent (Target Red, Amazon, etc...). I just assume most people drive and buy groceries. Lots of cards now are at least 2% for restaurants.

Granted with Target you can get their debit card and get 5%...I just don't like the idea of a direct jack into my checking account (I like the credit card as a firewall).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I do something very similar to confetti.

Capital One (1.5% back on everything, no foreign exchange fees. basically only use this when traveling outside the country)
Chase freedom (5% rotating)
Chase Amazon card (3% back at amazon.com, 2% at restaurants)
SallieMae Rewards (5% back on Gas + Groceries...up to $250/month I think)
Citi double cash (2% back on everything) use this for everything that doesn't fall into higher return brackets of my other cards

Members don't see this ad.

Also, the benefit is for EACH card. Put up your spouse also and your kid(s), you are getting $360/year for free.

Each card as in authorized users? or do they have to be separate accounts?

That's why they invented auto pay... I never once late on my mortgage or credit card bill in my life.

Makes sense. But I am a control freak and I don't let others take money out of account automatically without me knowing about it. Plus, I have been burned by auto-pay a couple of times, double withdrawals etc.

It is great feature if it works for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I love my Amex Platinum card. The fee seemed crazy high at first but I got Global Reentry for free, love the comp benefits on in flight purchases and such, plus I admit it is a bit of a thrill pulling it out and using it. I don't know if it will be worth it to renew since the Global Reentry thing is a done deal now but I guess I will see.

The fee is indeed high. I would have never considered it if it didn't come with the 100,000 points. Global Entry + TSA Pre-Check are good for 5 years so you won't be able to recoup your membership fee in your second year. But at the very least, you can recover the airline fee of $200 every year so as long as you fly a couple of times a year, $250/year is worth it given all the perks that come with it.

Try Fine Hotels and Resorts through Amex travel. That is probably the best benefit the platinum card has to offer. They routinely offer free nights and comes with automatic upgrades and much more. I am going on a vacation using FHR and I think I am saving about $400 bucks for a 4 day trip. So far that trip $400 + Global Entry $200 + TSA Pre-Check $85 $685 total the benefits already paid for my annual fee and them some. That's just within the first couple of months. Subtracting the annual fee $450, I am already up $285.

This thread is so awesome - I love how frugal you all are. Sometimes saving money can be just as fun as spending it. Especially when you're trying to reduce debt, haha.

In regards to the SallieMae Rewards card: the 5% on amazon.com and gas is no longer offered. It looks like sometime last September they neutered that card. Are old rewards members still getting the nice 5% cash back? Am I missing something, or has this ship sailed for good? Ditto for the PenFed 5% gas card (links below).

Are there any good cards left for gas that don't have an annual fee? There are some cheap ways of getting around this, like purchasing gas cards at supermarkets when I have 5% cash back there from my Chase Freedom, but that's not as flexible as 5% back at any gas station. Thanks for the help.

Links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3mc4vv/whats_going_on_with_the_sallie_mae_mastercard/
https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/upromise-card/
https://www.penfed.org/platinum-cash-rewards-card/

This thread is so awesome - I love how frugal you all are. Sometimes saving money can be just as fun as spending it. Especially when you're trying to reduce debt, haha.

In regards to the SallieMae Rewards card: the 5% on amazon.com and gas is no longer offered. It looks like sometime last September they neutered that card. Are old rewards members still getting the nice 5% cash back? Am I missing something, or has this ship sailed for good? Ditto for the PenFed 5% gas card (links below).

Are there any good cards left for gas that don't have an annual fee? There are some cheap ways of getting around this, like purchasing gas cards at supermarkets when I have 5% cash back there from my Chase Freedom, but that's not as flexible as 5% back at any gas station. Thanks for the help.

Links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3mc4vv/whats_going_on_with_the_sallie_mae_mastercard/

Good lord! how much do you drive? I think I put 70 bucks per month on gas. Carrying a separate card just for gas doesn't make sense. Just reduce your discretionary spending. Rather, use card that you can accumulateC points and with flexibility of transfer. But everyone's situation is different.

I'm failing to see the benefits of a credit card with an annual fee outside of the sign on benefits. I use my Citi Double Cash card for everything but
Good lord! how much do you drive? I think I put 70 bucks per month on gas. Carrying a separate card just for gas doesn't make sense. Just reduce your discretionary spending. Rather, use card that you can accumulateC points and with flexibility of transfer. But everyone's situation is different.

I spend about $80 a month on gas so I don't have a gas card. I'll either use Chase Freedom if it's 5% season for gas or Citi Double Cash for the 2%.

I'm failing to see the benefits of a credit card with an annual fee outside of the sign on benefits. I use my Citi Double Cash card for everything but
I spend about $80 a month on gas so I don't have a gas card. I'll either use Chase Freedom if it's 5% season for gas or Citi Double Cash for the 2%.

I don't drive that much, but if I can get a card that gives me 5% cash back vs. 2% cash back, I'm definitely going to use it. Every dollar saved matters to me. I don't see it as a hassle to have a separate credit card for gas, but I definitely understand that some do. Gas is really expensive where I live, so it adds up. Plus one of the cheaper (and preferred) vacation options for me in the next 7+ years is driving to national parks/camping sites, not taking flights or staying in hotels. Thus gas will be my biggest expense when it comes to discretionary spending.

Are points transferrable from card to card? Like can you move points from Amex to, say, Capital One? Or are we just talking about between different card types from the same bank?

Makes sense. But I am a control freak and I don't let others take money out of account automatically without me knowing about it. Plus, I have been burned by auto-pay a couple of times, double withdrawals etc.

It is great feature if it works for you.
Have been using Autopay since age 18, I am now 31, 0 issues for the past 13 years. I do not budget or pay bills every month. Period. I do have a Mint account I check regularly on a single tap on my phone. It gives me ALL credit card transactions, stocks worth, 401k balance, bank account $ and debt at any single moment. If I do get what you encountered, which so far never happened to me, it's a one time hassle outweigh the benefit of 12 times a year hassle paying 7 credit cards = 84 times hassle out of the year, 3 utilities bills + landscaping bill X 12 = 48. It certainly the more time effective solutions to save 142 hassles every year vs 0-1/year "possible" inconvenience. So, it works for me and majority of people who use the service.

Reactions: 1 users
All of my cards are set up with AutoPay but I look at all of my accounts once a month to check for mistakes and fraud. I've never made a late payment....ever.

All of my cards are set up with AutoPay but I look at all of my accounts once a month to check for mistakes and fraud. I've never made a late payment....ever.
Consider using Mint or Personal Capital so you stop logging in to all your accounts every month. It will save you tons of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are points transferrable from card to card? Like can you move points from Amex to, say, Capital One? Or are we just talking about between different card types from the same bank?

It is usually within the banks. For example, points between Chase Sapphire and Chase Everyday are transferable. The same goes to Amex Platinum and Amex Blue Cash Everyday.

Savvy consumers who focus on point strategy carry two cards. One for travel perks and the other for getting as many point as possible. Unfortunately, not many banks will allow a person to be approved for two cards at the same time. You get approved for one and a year later you get approved for the other.

I personally prefer points strategy because I get greater return for points if you do it right. Although, continuous points devaluation has become a norm, you can still get good value out of them. People tend to save this points for airline tickets where they transfer points to participating airlines and book reward flights.

Savvy consumers who focus on point strategy carry two cards. One for travel perks and the other for getting as many point as possible. Unfortunately, not many banks will allow a person to be approved for two cards at the same time. You get approved for one and a year later you get approved for the other.

I personally prefer points strategy because I get greater return for points if you do it right. Although, continuous points devaluation has become a norm, you can still get good value out of them. People tend to save this points for airline tickets where they transfer points to participating airlines and book reward flights.

For starters Chase Sapphire is a good to get points, and use Hyatt for hotel travel perks since Chase UR can transfer into the Hyatt program 1:1. With Marriott taking over SPG, it's time for me to plan to switch to Hyatt. I can't stand Marriott...

I'm a fatass who likes to cook, so the AMEX card that gives me 6% at grocery stores is worth $75/yr. I carry a Target card with 5% back which serves as my other grocery store (mostly for dry goods and stuff).

Oh and I have a Southwest credit card from 2001 that is $59 a year...only reason I don't cancel it is cuz it's the oldest card in my wallet. That and I fly southwest everywhere, but not that much anymore.

For starters Chase Sapphire is a good to get points, and use Hyatt for hotel travel perks since Chase UR can transfer into the Hyatt program 1:1. With Marriott taking over SPG, it's time for me to plan to switch to Hyatt. I can't stand Marriott...

Even though they devalue points all the time, Airlines are still the best bet when transferring points. Marriott taking over SPG will be interesting. AmEx is due to get another cut in their revenue here.

Credit card reward game is always interesting, and they always want high earners' (like pharmacists) business. The competition is fierce in this segment and I expect the reward perks to increase. Regardless of which method you choose (cash back or points), with some research and planning you can get hell lot of stuff for a fraction of the cost.

Links:
Bought gas last thursday, still got 5%. Rarely buy things on amazon, so I can't comment on that.

Links:
If you look at the requirements for the Plus card, they aren't that hard to meet and will net you a free 5% cashback on gas. Not some huge savings, but over time it will add up.
As for high yield checking accounts, Google for those. Some credit unions are offering 3+% up to 15k. Not bad for a place to park an emergency fund!

Which credit unions? I have mine sitting @ 0.9%

Most of them are going to be limited membership criteria (armed services, teachers, etc...), I'm getting 3% now up to $5k I think.

My emergency fund is setup with Ally savings and I get 1%.

If you look at the requirements for the Plus card, they aren't that hard to meet and will net you a free 5% cashback on gas. Not some huge savings, but over time it will add up.
As for high yield checking accounts, Google for those. Some credit unions are offering 3+% up to 15k. Not bad for a place to park an emergency fund!

That link was very helpful, thank you.

Are you sure the SallieMae card you're talking about is still available? I've spent some time searching online and can only find this card now: https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/upromise-card/
If you have a link to the "plus" card, or instructions on how to apply for it, that'd be greatly appreciated!

I don't see the benefit of keeping my Southwest card now that I got the sign on bonus. Yes I get cardholder anniversary miles but the card also has a yearly fee so I'm buying a regional flight every year whether I like it or not. Cheapest flight from Love Field to SFO is $129 or 7661 points. It's $1 per point so I would need to spend $7,661 to get that flight for free. If I spend that same $7661 on my Citi Double Cash then I earn $153.22 so I could purchase the flight with that card, reimburse myself, and get $24 on top of it.

Anyone churn here?

My wife and I have earned about 1.3 million miles in the last year (about $26,000 in non-taxable travel value). We're going to Europe this summer on all points. Flights. Amsterdam. London. Paris. Munich.

I don't see the benefit of keeping my Southwest card now that I got the sign on bonus. Yes I get cardholder anniversary miles but the card also has a yearly fee so I'm buying a regional flight every year whether I like it or not. Cheapest flight from Love Field to SFO is $129 or 7661 points. It's $1 per point so I would need to spend $7,661 to get that flight for free. If I spend that same $7661 on my Citi Double Cash then I earn $153.22 so I could purchase the flight with that card, reimburse myself, and get $24 on top of it.

Pretty much why I want to dump the card... but I've had this card for 16 years (back when the "sign on bonus" was a freaking ugly t-shirt, it was issued by First USA, and my RR # is like 7 digits long), my AAoA would drop like a rock.

I pretty much just use it to book Southwest flights, which I only do maybe 3-4 times a year now intra-California (so that's like... $140 R/T x 4 trips x 2 people). Oh well.

Pretty much why I want to dump the card... but I've had this card for 16 years (back when the "sign on bonus" was a freaking ugly t-shirt, it was issued by First USA, and my RR # is like 7 digits long), my AAoA would drop like a rock.

I pretty much just use it to book Southwest flights, which I only do maybe 3-4 times a year now intra-California (so that's like... $140 R/T x 4 trips x 2 people). Oh well.
I'd still cancel it. If you can downgrade to no annual fee card it's better, if not, cancel the card, make sure you boost your other card credit limit so it doesn't hurt you so much. As long as you have 760+ score, there is no reason to keep it. All creditors will want to see are your credit score, no red marks, and debt to income ratio anyway. They don't care about how long you have a cc open. You probably will take -10-15 score hit the most.

That link was very helpful, thank you.

Are you sure the SallieMae card you're talking about is still available? I've spent some time searching online and can only find this card now: https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/upromise-card/
If you have a link to the "plus" card, or instructions on how to apply for it, that'd be greatly appreciated!
No; the Sallie Mae card isn't available. The PenFed one is.

I have 5 different credit cards because I wanted to strategically use them for cash back (one for gas, on for groceries, etc.)

I kind of regret this as it's a hassle to have 5 cards and I don't really trust the autopay so I have been making manual payments even with the autopay on. Do you think it's a big mistake to close a few of them in terms of my credit score? None of them carry a balance and I am just a P1 with low spending.

I want to refi my loans when I graduate and will at some point get a mortgage so I want my score to be as high as possible. Should I just hold them? My score is around 750, average age of account is ~2.5 years due to student loans, all 5 credit cards are under 1 year.

I'm thinking I'll just hold onto them... seeing as having a good score could save me thousands down the road in interest

Last edited:
I have 5 different credit cards because I wanted to strategically use them for cash back (one for gas, on for groceries, etc.)

I kind of regret this as it's a hassle to have 5 cards and I don't really trust the autopay so I have been making manual payments even with the autopay on. Do you think it's a big mistake to close a few of them in terms of my credit score? None of them carry a balance and I am just a P1 with low spending.

I want to refi my loans when I graduate and will at some point get a mortgage so I want my score to be as high as possible. Should I just hold them? My score is around 750, average age of account is ~2.5 years due to student loans, all 5 credit cards are under 1 year.

I'm thinking I'll just hold onto them... seeing as having a good score could save me thousands down the road in interest

Hold them, be sure to charge random things every few months so they don't close you from inactivity.

Yah I also set autopay (minimum) and manually pay on top of that, it's my way of insuring an on time payment.

Keep them forever. That's why I don't get any with an annual fee. It will help your credit score by:

- Having the available credit limit, which reduces your overall % utilization. I try to keep utilization <5% of my total credit limit of ~$100k. Anytime I go over 5%, my ~820 credit score drops a few points. But then it goes back up the next month when I pay it off. Even when you pay off the statement balance in full to pay no interest, they will still report the statement balance to the credit bureaus as your utilization.

- Improving the average age of accounts and having the on-time payment history. Even a $0 balance counts as an on-time payment.

You do need to use them once in a while so that the bank doesn't close them. I think once a year is good. Citi closed one of mine after I lost track and didn't use it for 3 years.

I've had my share of autopay screwups, so I understand your concern, but usually things will get sorted out, so I still use autopay for the time it saves when everything is working smoothly.

I prefer being debt free but understand that you'll need a good credit score to get a mortgage, perhaps refinance your student loans, etc. Also realize that they use your credit as a factor in rating your car and home insurance rates. So having good credit is important even when you're debt free.

I couldn't care less about my credit score when it comes to a mortgage if cancelling a card causes a 10-15 point drop. Do banks not look at liquid assets anymore? No difference between a 750 score and a 735 score.

I couldn't care less about my credit score when it comes to a mortgage if cancelling a card causes a 10-15 point drop. Do banks not look at liquid assets anymore? No difference between a 750 score and a 735 score.
740 and above get you the best mortgage rate. No reason to aim higher. That's why churning and bonus chasing are not a bad idea if you know what you are doing. Mine was 780-800 when I applied, got me the best rate at that point. I could pay the loan off if I want to but it's nice to have extra $ around to make more money. Carrying a mortgage loan made my score shoot up to 825 in a couple months. More variety of loans counts I guess.

If you want to close them, go ahead, since the average history of your credit cards is not even that long anyway. At one point, I had 17 credit cards >_>; I closed pretty much 10 of those cards because it doesn't give me good rewards, credit score took a small dip, in a couple months I was back again at my usual score. I opened them just for the bonus, once the bonus is posted, buh-bye forever. If the issuers are from the same institution, you can consolidate the limit to a few card: ask for transferring the credit limit to the other card and close the card (not many people know this). Also, once you make pharmacist income, it's really easy to get 20k limit credit card anyway. You can also ask for credit limit raise every 6 months. When I applied for one and they always give me $10-25k to start...

Many lenders use 740 as a tier cut off within prime lending, 750 vs. 735 is like a 0.125%-.25% interest rate difference. Both are nowhere near Alt-A, but there are rate differences for sure.

Liquid assets are less important than cash flow, the barrier is low (3-6 months of reserves). So functionally speaking, there's no benefit to having $1M in the bank cash vs. having $12,000 in the bank cash (for a $2,000/mo PITI payment), as both meet guideline (6 months).

Technically, if you're unemployed w/ $1M in the bank...you'll be denied for a traditional mortgage vs. someone making $75,000/yr with $12k in the bank. The former has an infinite DTI, the other has a 32% DTI.

Of course, if you had $1M, you can just buy your house or condo outright.

If the issuers are from the same institution, you can consolidate the limit to a few card: ask for transferring the credit limit to the other card and close the card (not many people know this). Also, once you make pharmacist income, it's really easy to get 20k limit credit card anyway. You can also ask for credit limit raise every 6 months. When I applied for one and they always give me $10-25k to start...

I did this with AMEX, so I have a $25,000 limit there after combining two cards...same with my credit union a few years ago, I combined a $25k + $12k to a (now) $40k limit. From the forums I think the max they'll extend on this card is $80k.

Still comparing cards with no annual fees to find the best rewards. Opinions and thoughts on any>s

I'm loving my Chase Freedom card right now. 5% cash back category active right now is grocery stores so I've been loading up on gift cards to stores I make purchases at. Gasoline, movie tickets, airplane tickets, Whataburger are all 5% back essentially and I love it.

I'm loving my Chase Freedom card right now. 5% cash back category active right now is grocery stores so I've been loading up on gift cards to stores I make purchases at. Gasoline, movie tickets, airplane tickets, Whataburger are all 5% back essentially and I love it.
I have Sallie Mae, 5% on gas and grocery for only 250/month limit on each category, $750/mo limit on amazon. But that's plenty since I only use the card for myself. Sadly, this offer is not available for anyone interested now, just like city forward on 5% restaurants. They close the door when it's too good to be true.

I don't buy movie. It's free for me including new theater releases. I use Kodi for all TVs, movies, sports content and PirateBay for all movies I wanna keep on my 5TB hard drive.

I have Sallie Mae, 5% on gas and grocery for only 250/month limit on each category, $750/mo limit on amazon.

I also have that card but I think my 3rd category is on textbooks and things rather than amazon. The Amazon option would be great!

I have to renovate my house and purchase new appliance, ac unit and new cabinet for house. what card do you guys recommend to get ?? Chase sapphire?

I have to renovate my house and purchase new appliance, ac unit and new cabinet for house. what card do you guys recommend to get ?? Chase sapphire?
Use a 2% cash back card or card with really high bonus after you spend certain $, then close the card after you get the bonus. Chase sapphire and southwest credit card come to mind if you go this route. Use both and get $1000 cash back.

You do get travel 5% off??? Chase Freedom website says: "Does not include gas, fuel, wholesale club specialty service purchases such as travel, insurance, cell phone and home improvement."

You do get travel 5% off??? Chase Freedom website says: "Does not include gas, fuel, wholesale club specialty service purchases such as travel, insurance, cell phone and home improvement."
MS, manufactured spending. Look it up.

My local grocery store sells gift cards :)