What is the best time/month to schedule an away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK_MD2BE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some students at my school do away rotations in the third year, does this make any sense? I am an MS2 and need to schedule my third year, so I was considering scheduling an away rotation at the place that I know that I want to do my residency at during the third year. However, it would seem to me that it would be better to the rotation in the fourth year (and therefore closer to interview season) so that my impression is more fresh in the memory of the program directors/attendings. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct in my opinion. I did my first anesthesia rotation in town at a private practice in Jan. of my 3rd year. I asked all of the dumb questions and learned as much as I could then.
I loved the month and then scheduled away rotations in Sept. and Nov. of my 4th year. I also scheduled my top program for Nov. because Sept. was also a good learning month. Once Nov. came I had already had 2 anesthesia rotations and was somewhat comfortable in what to expect throughout the day.

I think its definitely a good idea to do a rotation in Anesthesia during your third year -- but not necessarily your "audition rotations". By trying it out early you (1) make sure you really enjoy the field and not just the idea of it; and (2) like the previous poster wrote -- ask the dumb questions and get the basics down; and (3) get an opportunity to get letters of recommendation early so that you can complete your eras application sooner --Having my application complete in september helped me get earlier interviews.

But I also agree that your top spots should be saved until your fourth year so you can really shine and still stay fresh in their memory. But remember that November can be a busy interviewing month and you don't want to ask for too much time off - so scheduling can be tricky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely do an audition rotation after you've already had a rotation in that specialty at your medical school, if possible.

I did my audition rotation in June (end of 3rd year), since July and August were off-limits at the institution where I was rotating. September and October are also good months. June worked great for me.

I would agree on holding off of the away rotation till fourth year...

I would also mention that if you come from school with a good reputation, have the USMLE scores, no major blimishes, ect. Away rotations may not really be required. You can let a progam know during the interview season that you really want to go there. Doing an away rotation to do that is a lot more expensive than just letting the PD know you will be ranking them number one.

One the flip side doing an away rotation may provide the oppertunity to scope out the program. In fact I actually withdrew my application from the program I did my away rotation. Realized I could not live in that city.

Good luck with the rest of your 2nd yr...

I would agree on holding off of the away rotation till fourth year...

I would also mention that if you come from school with a good reputation, have the USMLE scores, no major blimishes, ect. Away rotations may not really be required. You can let a progam know during the interview season that you really want to go there. Doing an away rotation to do that is a lot more expensive than just letting the PD know you will be ranking them number one.

One the flip side doing an away rotation may provide the oppertunity to scope out the program. In fact I actually withdrew my application from the program I did my away rotation. Realized I could not live in that city.

Good luck with the rest of your 2nd yr...

I would agree with everything Leverage just posted.

You may be very surprised about some aspect of the program (location, facilities, didactics) that you wouldn't otherwise know and end up not wanting to go there. Figuring that out is just as valuable as having a good experience, getting to know people, performing well, etc. I, too, withdrew my application after an away elective after realizing I couldn't live in that area.

I would also agree that away rotations aren't necessary to get interviews that you want. A great majority of people, just going by the numbers, get interviews at places they didn't do away electives.

The advice I hear over and over again, however, is that the away rotations are truly necessary if - for whatever reason - you NEED to match at a specific program for a sig other/spouse and your application would not otherwise warrant an interview. Then it might be your ticket in.

If you are doing your away in New Orleans, I recommend months that end in R. Otherwise it doesn't matter much.

I vote do a GAS rotation at your home school and then do an away GAS rotation where you would like to do residency. They will be impressed about how much you know especially if they don't know you all ready did a GAS rotation.

Sneaky_Shark.jpg

I am finishing my second year and interested in this question too. Recently I was accepted for the research program at my med school, so I will be spending five years now (one year for research). I am able to schedule my electives and research time flexibly, meaning I can mix them up a little. So I guess I have two questions.

Would it make sense to do an anesthesiology elective at my school after my third year, then do aways during my fourth year, or should I wait to do them until fall of my fifth year? I'm a little worried because if I wait until after my research year I will have been out of the clinic for a year, but if I don't wait, then there will be more than a year between when I do the away and when I apply.

Also, when is the best time for me to take Step 2? I was thinking I should take it at the beginning of my fourth year after I finish my rotations, because I don't want to wait too long and forget everything. I think I would do my best on it if I took it right after third year since all of the clinic stuff would be fresh. But one upperclassman was telling me not to take it early because then I'd have to study more for it since it will show up on my residency applications. If I follow that advice, I would have to take it during winter of my fifth year, which will be a year and a half after finishing rotations. That seems too long to me where I would have to study harder just because I forgot so much.

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure these things out.

I have also heard that doing an away rotation is not necessary, but might be helpful.

I am also an MS3 and I'm planning on doing my Anesthesia SubI at my home institution in NY at the beginning of 4th year, and then possibly an 'audition rotation'.

I was wondering whether anyone could comment on top institutions in Manhattan for which doing an away rotation would be helpful.

THanks!

I am doing an anesthesia rotation in June and an out of town in october hopefully in chicago. Is that a good month to have an out of town? Can I still get a letter from them in time for interviews? If it is late, should I do it at a place I want to match at? Thanks all. This board is fantastic.

I am doing an anesthesia rotation in June and an out of town in october hopefully in chicago. Is that a good month to have an out of town? Can I still get a letter from them in time for interviews? If it is late, should I do it at a place I want to match at? Thanks all. This board is fantastic.

I think you will be hard pressed to get a letter in time for interviews if you are rotating in October though it can be done. I know letter writters hate being put on a tight deadline and interview season starts in November.

Also you will want your application complete as soon as possible. That means all required letters in by September. I think you need like three to be complete. Some programs will take a fourth or bounus so your rotation in October could add to your application that way.

My letters came from SICU anesthesia guy, and two internal medicine folks. Point being, even though I did gas rotations I felt I got to know attendings better not associated with the OR. In the OR you spend all your time with a resident and the attendings you hardly see. So feels a bit akward asking for a letter.

That said, you don't need a letter from a program to match at that program. You can still get to know the faculty and make a good impression with out asking for a letter. They may even remember you better if you rotated in october and interview in November as opposed to rotating way back in July. You may even save yourself a trip back out for the interview if they are willing to interview you while you are on your rotation.

Seems like people are putting to much emphisis on these away deals. I don't think they are a golden ticket. Don't get me wrong, they can help but they will not make up for any major blimishes on the application. Good luck

Other thing to keep in mind for away rotations, starting about late Oct. and on through Dec., you may have interviews to work out. I was at an away in November and had to fly out of that city's airport to interview and then back to my away rotation. It was a little awkard but necessary.