What is the best way for a medical student to network early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metamorphosis.DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping for responses from recently OB-GYN matched M4s, residents, residency directors, or anyone with firsthand experience.

I’m an M2 interested in OB-GYN and really hope to get into a specific residency program which is near family. It’s also DO friendly (I’m an OMS) which is great.

how can I network specifically in the program and other programs that would be later on my list? Is it too much to call the hospital and ask for an email address for the residency director and ask for guidance on how to be competitive? What is a good way to start now so I’m in a better spot come year 3/4.

also, audition rotation or no? I’m confident I’ll do well in clerkships next year btu want some guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely do audition rotations, IF you are good in person. For most people, audition rotations really help them standout. However, for a few candidates, it sinks them entirely. This is where a good mentor or advisor at your home institution comes into play. We always meet one or two out of the 20 MS4s that should have been told to stay home due to their personality. They essentially put themselves on the “DNR” (do not rank) list for our program. That being said, the majority do well, and it gives us a known quantity. Would you rather have the person you know already did well for a month, or the unknown quantity?

Does your school do established MS3 rotations in hospitals with residents? Or do you have to set up your own rotations with people in the community with no residents? DO schools do either of the above while MD schools do the former. I ask because this can really throw off some DO MS4 when they do an away rotation without ever having interacted with residents before. Residents and attendings will have expectations based on the fact that they typically work with students that have rotated with residency programs before. Not an insurmountable problem, but one you should be aware of.

Different PDs will have different opinions on being contacted by students. I think it shows interest and initiative, but don’t ask what would make you competitive. That is already known (ie high scores, glowing LORs, volunteering, leadership experience, demonstrating overcoming adversity, and diversity of the applicant).

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely do audition rotations, IF you are good in person. For most people, audition rotations really help them standout. However, for a few candidates, it sinks them entirely. This is where a good mentor or advisor at your home institution comes into play. We always meet one or two out of the 20 MS4s that should have been told to stay home due to their personality. They essentially put themselves on the “DNR” (do not rank) list for our program. That being said, the majority do well, and it gives us a known quantity. Would you rather have the person you know already did well for a month, or the unknown quantity?

Does your school do established MS3 rotations in hospitals with residents? Or do you have to set up your own rotations with people in the community with no residents? DO schools do either of the above while MD schools do the former. I ask because this can really throw off some DO MS4 when they do an away rotation without ever having interacted with residents before. Residents and attendings will have expectations based on the fact that they typically work with students that have rotated with residency programs before. Not an insurmountable problem, but one you should be aware of.

Different PDs will have different opinions on being contacted by students. I think it shows interest and initiative, but don’t ask what would make you competitive. That is already known (ie high scores, glowing LORs, volunteering, leadership experience, demonstrating overcoming adversity, and diversity of the applicant).
as a naive ms3, what are some things that get people put on DNR lists? Is it usually being too introverted/reserved, or is it being unprofessional or obnoxious? I'm going into a specialty that really takes into consideration away rotations (pm&r), and I want to make sure I can secure some LOR's from my electives.

Completing away rotations is great during your 4th year, but one thing I found to be quite useful and helpful was just reaching out to program coordinators and asking to speak with current residents to ask a few questions over email about their program. Most coordinators will get you in-contact with a resident and you can just at least get your name out there and also see if it would be a program you may want to audition at or learn more about.

Also, if for some reason you cannot audition at a program due to scheduling or other factors, you can always propose the idea of being able to shadow or visit the hospital. Some programs are receptive to the idea if they see you are interested. Granted, you can't do this with every program but you will get a feel for things as you get through your third year.

Reactions: 1 user