What is the best way to ace pathology questions during organ based systems that use NBME type exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff0302

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys and ladies offer how to better study for pathology, consistently my worst performing section of our NBME based exams during organ based systems? I have Robbins Pathologic basis of disease but our lectures seem to go even deeper than Robbins and for the GI system alone I have about 30 lectures with powerpoints that average 60 slides each. I have all the common tools - Pathoma, USMLE RX, Kaplan Test, AMBOSS, Sketchi, Anki, etc. Do I need a deeper book than Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease or is it the Daddy, and what are the better tools to use since I have so many? I also have Robbins Review of Pathology too.

Members don't see this ad.

Pathoma and practice questions is all I ever really did and it was plenty

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know of a pathology book that gives each disease in a tabular format with clinical signs, epidemiology, typical differential test results, anatomical location and features, histological features, and any other characteristics to classify pathological conditions? Robbins is great as an encyclopedia, but tests we take from NBME exams require deduction from a few of these and then ask which answer best matches. I was thinking of making my own spreadsheet but thought I'd ask first if such a reference or textbook existed organized in this manner before I invest creating one. Thanks for any hip. Pathology is just my krytonite.

Anyone know of a pathology book that gives each disease in a tabular format with clinical signs, epidemiology, typical differential test results, anatomical location and features, histological features, and any other characteristics to classify pathological conditions? Robbins is great as an encyclopedia, but tests we take from NBME exams require deduction from a few of these and then ask which answer best matches. I was thinking of making my own spreadsheet but thought I'd ask first if such a reference or textbook existed organized in this manner before I invest creating one. Thanks for any hip. Pathology is just my krytonite.

Have you tried looking at baby Robbins?

Yes but my medical school covers conditions only in the larger Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease. Here is an example of a table that would be ideal from a book, or at least provide some of the information in a form easy to convert to such a table.
1618121893055.png

Use the Robbins Review book (amazon link). Each chapter has like 50 questions. I remember they were really tough and would take me about a week to thoroughly go through a chapter (do questions, study answers, take notes, etc.). It should be more than enough with Pathoma. I also think you may be using too many resources. It's always better to thoroughly study 1 or 2 resources than try to review multiple different resources superficially.

Also having spent time with both Ackland's anatomy and even reading some of the dreaded Gray's anatomy has paid off too.

Practice questions is one thing I got tons of - KaplanTest, USMLE RX, Pathoma, almost everything but Uworld, which I'm saving for the Step 1. I also have the physical Q&A books like First Aide Organ based, First Aide 2020, and Robbins Review.
I did much better on our last exam. I changed up my routine basically by coming up with my own routine. Pure lectures just didn't cut it, and neither did review books. I'm diving in and reading specific parts of Gray's Anatomy, Pawlina Histology, big Robbins, and Gutton-Hall. I found Costanzo too much like a review book and almost as if written to a USLME outline instead of organized topically into smaller subchapters like GH. I still attend lectures, copy them into Anki for certain useful diagrams and pictures I need to know. Also I'm at a top 25 school (but a state school) so we plow into all the rare conditions so basic Robbins was out right off the bat, despite being on our required list (which didn't have Pathologic Basis of Disease listed). Seems like our booklist and lecture content is not well aligned, at least for us.