Medical What is the best writing essay idea to pick for diversity question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently hitting a writer's block as I have to write my second diversity essay, and was hoping I could get some guidance for the topic as I feel that my ideas are not great.

Here are the three ideas in my head:

1) I came over to this country when I was 10. Thus, I still culturally associate myself to that culture. I've done several activities throughout high school and college (i.e. joining/leading a traditional korean band, taking korean literature classes to learn about korean literature and history). I want to enrich my peers in medical school by introducing aspects of the Korean culture like history, literature, and language that is often obscured in today's mainstream obsession with K-Pop / korean food.

2) Learning English as a second language drove me to take speech and debate classes and participate tournaments throughout my high school + first year of college. Debate taught me a lot in regards to making concise and logical arguments and taking different perspectives of a problem to make good arguments for/against a side. I want to be able to facilitate discussions in medical school to help me and my peers be able to communicate well to build a collaborative community

3) Powerlifting: I originally began power lifting to overcome my negative body image. Throughout the three years in college, I have been keeping a consistent schedule to challenge and out-do myself. There were so many embarrassing failures on the way, but I learned that these failed repetitions are one of the best way to increase strength. I know in medical school I may come across a lot of moments of hardships, but I want to be the person who can help push others through these difficult moments, like how my friends have in the gym when pushing out that last repetition .

If none of those are good, please let me know!
1 and 2 are interrelated, and the immigrant experience is always valuable.

3 has been done to death.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you write about for your first diversity essay?
I wrote about my computer science background and how I have incorporated CS into research. The reason I am rewriting is because there is a prompt specifically asking about research skills and experiences and I did not want to make it redundant :(

Status
Not open for further replies.