What is the block system at pharm schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading posts that refer to a "block system" of classes. What does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Block systems refer to classes where courses are offered one at a time. In traditional setting, one can take 4 or 5 classes in a semester or quarter. In block systems, you concentrate only on one class. Depending on the subeject matter the length of the classes can vary. Only when you are done with this block do you move on to the next block. Hope that helps.

It means that in place of regular semesters with 5-6 classes at a time for 4 months or so....there are blocks...Mercer has a Block system...I think each block is 6 weeks...this way at a time you only have 2 classes and they are over in 6 weeks and next 6 weeks you take some other 2 classes...etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if MWU-CPG is a block system? They never mentioned it in the interview but then i thought I read somewhere in this forum that it was

Thanks for the info! That clarifies it a bit. Its interesting....I wonder what type of system is more effective....block or traditional

Tai said:
Does anyone know if MWU-CPG is a block system? They never mentioned it in the interview but then i thought I read somewhere in this forum that it was

It is on a quarter system. When I interviewed earlier this month, they had the schedules for each year of the program in the folders they passed out. You may want to see if you received this info--it shows which classes are taken each quarter, and it looks like students take about 5 or 6 classes at a time.

I've calle dit a "block schedule" because of our Integrated courses in which we learn the disease states, therapeutics, medicianl chemistry all rolled together. N0t sure if that's the official term or not. We do have 5-6 classes at a time however and Integrated is only one (albeit very large) class.