What is the chance of matching top 5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycIMdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts/experience??

I am an AMG and I am not ranking top tier programs. A good mix of university based/community programs in NYC. However, I only want to rank 7 programs.

Is that enough?

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE and HOPE YOU ALL MATCH AT YOUR DREAM PROGRAMS!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Would you rather scramble or match at >7?

Of course I dont want to scamble and I dont want to go to some programs that I interviewed at. That's why I posted this thread.

Any more thoughts?

No offense, but this is all old:

If you don't want to go to the program, for the love of God, don't rank it, as you said. That being said, the rest of the question is irrelevant because if you only WANT to go to 7 programs, there is no point in ranking more, regardless.

Nobody here can tell you how many programs to rank. The only sureity is that more programs generally translates to more security and vice versa. However, assuming you are being realistic with your programs, it is possible to rank as few as two or three programs, really, and still have a fairly good shot of matching into IM. Do I suggest this? No. But most people will match into their top three to five. In general, if you are ranking top tier programs (which you said you weren't), even if you're a stellar candidate, it would behoove you to rank at least a few mid-tiers. If you are a solid mid-level candidate, then ranking seven mid-level programs seems fairly safe. However, there's no guarantee in life. Somewhere, there will be a person who ranks fifteen programs and goes unmatched or something.