What is the *comfiest* specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily the cushiest/best lifestyle, just comfy :)

Comfy_guy.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Radiology. Sit in an ergonomic desk chair in scrubs in a dark room. Have cup of coffee and some snacks. Read by the flickering light of a ... massive high-resolution monitor.

Reactions: 16 users
Radiology. Sit in an ergonomic desk chair in scrubs in a dark room. Have cup of coffee and some snacks. Read by the flickering light of a ... massive high-resolution monitor.

Or Pathology if you're afraid of the dark

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatrics. Swaddled babies = comfy.

Psychiatry. They look comfy sitting in a chair across from a couch.

Nursing
It's in the name

Anesthesiology. Hit the gas, play Angry Birds. Respond to MH x3 in your career.

Ophthalmology. Comfiest surgery to scrub in on because it means you get to sit!

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely diagnostic radiology. Would say psych, but I saw the on-call psychiatrist get punched in the face in the ER when I worked as a scribe.

Radiology. If I could switch specialties that's the one I would do. Derm is nice but you have to walk around and talk to people. I don't like walking and people are tricky. I'll take a MI at 75 for a life of not walking, thank you very much. I also don't want to talk.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 8 users
Radiology. If I could switch specialties that's the one I would do. Derm is nice but you have to walk around and talk to people. I don't like walking and people are tricky. I'll take a MI at 75 for a life of not walking, thank you very much. I also don't want to talk.

Hope that helps.

But you get to do so wearing Gucci or Ferragamo loafers paired with scrubs, and your interactions are <5 minutes. It's like walking on clouds drifting from room to room casually. That's pretty damn comfy.

Reactions: 2 users
Any specialty you can do via tele medicine. You don't have to leave your house. You don't even have to wear pants. Apparently I'm not allowed to not wear pants at work because it's "unprofessional" and "probably illegal". I'm waiting until the day I can operate from home with my remote da vinci robot.

Reactions: 7 users
Any specialty you can do via tele medicine. You don't have to leave your house. You don't even have to wear pants. Apparently I'm not allowed to not wear pants at work because it's "unprofessional" and "probably illegal". I'm waiting until the day I can operate from home with my remote da vinci robot.

Telepsych for sure. Had an attending whose wife did exclusively telepsych. She'd literally go in their basement 2-3 days a week for 4-5 hours in her bathrobe, see nursing home patients via her computer, and still pull in 6 figures. Discovered what my retirement plan was going to be on that rotation, lol.

Hope that helps.

BWAHA! the responses to this are all my thoughts, exactly. all tele-everything.

Reactions: 1 users

The call can be brutal, but yes, it's super comfy for me. Plus, if you're in an open reading room, you can chit-chat whenever with your colleagues, play some music, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely neurosurgery.

Reactions: 3 users
Vascular surgery. Great hours. Super healthy and compliant patients. Minimal inpatient work. Huge job market. Get some.

Reactions: 5 users
pathology for sure (minus the less than optimal job market).