What is the craziest thing a customer has asked you when you were working retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've yet to play in the snow. First time I'm cognitively aware enough to remember snow was in an airport in Canada waiting for my flight home.

Members don't see this ad.

snow is icky. you all can have it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really medication related, but i work at CVS and me and the pharmacist are the only males at work as the front store manager and checker are both female. We had a very distraught lady come in saying she locked her keys in her car and couldnt afford a locksmith. Her car is pretty new and she knew a slim jim wouldnt work.

Now her request, she looks at me and Im moderately built and an very stout due to daily visits to the gym and asks me to go punch out her window. Well at first i thought, yea, right... But she stood there and kept asking. Well i knew better than to break my hand, so I drive a truck and have the locking bed mounts and so i grabbed one of those and made a fist like with brass knuckles and one hit... sounded like a gun shot and the window shattered. Lady reached in and grabbed a pack of cigarettes and a lighter and said thanks.

very dumb.... both you and her. locksmith costs about 30 dollars and the window will be closer to 75.....

snow is icky. you all can have it all.

It's icky after its driven on by 10000 cars and mixed with salt and all that stuff. I hate my family members for always stepping on the lawn after it snows after I've shoveled a path.

I wish we could have some more of those 20"+ storms. Besides, do you know how fun it is to induce skids and slides in the snow with my car? It's exhilarating!

I once had a lady ask me if we carry anything over the counter for nerves because her nerves in her legs were electricuting her stomach and it was sending shock waves to her brain.... I directed her to the pharmacist since I couldnt keep a straight face. She then proceeded to tell the pharmacist about how Nyquil makes her hungover the next day.

We also had a guy come in and ask for the Plan B pill. He said the wife was on the pill but after the night they had last night she was going to need something extra. He seemed very proud of himself and refused to listen to us when we said Plan B wasnt necessary.

Keep in mind I am in Georgia. When I was a technician, I answered the phone and was asked, "Is hemorrhoids when your meats hangin' out?" I said, WHAT? She said the same thing again. I told her yes. So then she asks what she can do to treat it. Haven't had a question to top that one yet:laugh:

the other day, i have an old guy come to the counter and ask me "What is a gram?" I'm like, its a unit that measures weight. "OK, but how much is a gram? How much sugar or salt is one gram?" seriously, I told him to buy a kitchen weight but he just got pissed off that nobody can answer his question.

A woman came in to pick up valtrex for her cold sore and was like, "Ihate these cold sores, I don't want people thinking I have herpes or something." She didn't seem too pleased when I informed her that a strain of the Herpes virus causes cold sores.

the other day, i have an old guy come to the counter and ask me "What is a gram?" I'm like, its a unit that measures weight. "OK, but how much is a gram? How much sugar or salt is one gram?" seriously, I told him to buy a kitchen weight but he just got pissed off that nobody can answer his question.

The weight equivalent of 1 mL of water, or a one centimeter cube full of water.

A woman came in to pick up valtrex for her cold sore and was like, "Ihate these cold sores, I don't want people thinking I have herpes or something." She didn't seem too pleased when I informed her that a strain of the Herpes virus causes cold sores.

Ha ha, good one!!

So I was working the counter one day and I had an older gentleman walk up to the counter with a sandwich baggie. He proceeded to discuss with me that he was just prescribed Tegretol XR 400mg and that he didn't think that the medication was working for him. He said it was "passing right through him". He then opened the baggie and pulled out a paper towel and opened that up. The man then showed me a sample of his fecal matter with the "pill" visible. Needless to say I wasn't prepared to have a piece of **** on my pharmacy counter and took a step back when he pushed it towards me to "get a better look". Not one of my finer moments I tell you.

For those who don't know about Tegretol XR...its a extended-release tablet that has a tiny hole in the coating that releases the medication, and the coating is excreted in the feces.

I've had some other good ones, but that one by far is the oddest.

So I was working the counter one day and I had an older gentleman walk up to the counter with a sandwich baggie. He proceeded to discuss with me that he was just prescribed Tegretol XR 400mg and that he didn't think that the medication was working for him. He said it was "passing right through him". He then opened the baggie and pulled out a paper towel and opened that up. The man then showed me a sample of his fecal matter with the "pill" visible. Needless to say I wasn't prepared to have a piece of **** on my pharmacy counter and took a step back when he pushed it towards me to "get a better look". Not one of my finer moments I tell you.

For those who don't know about Tegretol XR...its a extended-release tablet that has a tiny hole in the coating that releases the medication, and the coating is excreted in the feces.

Oh, gross. Really, really gross. Maybe we need to teach in schools that unless your doctor asks you for a sample, you don't need to give him/her one. And you never need to give your pharmacist one!

Members don't see this ad :)

Ughh, that is totally disgusting! Could he not have just explained his problem, rather than showing you!? Obviously someone didn't do their job and warn him that the coating would be passed in his feces.

unless taken with narcs or alcohol BNZ overdose is not dangerous (lethal dose is like 1000x usual dose), the main effect would probably be sedation.

Grandma: "My grandson won't get up, he took some Xanax"
Me: "Uh, just how much Xanax"
Grandma: "A bottle. Can't I just give him coffee or splash water on him?"
Me: "Is he conscious?"
Grandma: "I don't know, I'll just give him coffee to wake him up."
Me: "Ma'am this is very serious, you need to call 911 immediately."
Grandma: Sighs with disgust that I couldn't help her or condone pouring liquids into the mouth of an unconcious person and hangs up on me.

:confused:

Not long after that a guy asked what he could get for his friend who had the shakes, chills, high temperature, etc. I asked the dude about any other symptoms his friend was having and he said "Well he quit drinking cold turkey a few days ago and he's been shaking and feverish ever since." I figured out that this dude was a hard core alkie trying to dry out at home. I recommended that they go to a hospital as going through DTs at home is generally not a safe idea.

Besides what Farmercyst said...you can tell people that a gram is about the weight of a paper clip.

I was helping overnight at a CVS, I had a pretty interesting phone conversation. Keep in mind this was at 4am:

Him: How long does crack last in your system?
Me: Um...do you mean the effects, or for a drug test?
Him: A drug test
Me: Well, it depends...when is your drug test?
Him: In a few hours
Me: You'd better reschedule

On another (gross) note, we had someone come in getting her first fill of a Nuvaring prescription. She had some general questions which I answered, then asked what she has to do to refill it. I said she could either call it in or bring the wrapper with the label back into the store. So, a month later she brings the wrapper back in...with the used ring inside.

I'm assuming that most of you are either pharmacists or pharmacy students. You should know better about the HIPPAA law. It is unethical, not to mention ILLEGAL, to post stories about what happened in the pharmacies to others. It DOES NOT matter whether or not you keep the names anonymous. Go back and review the laws!!!! Please consider the consequences before you post anything confidential here. I can't believe SDN actually allows this to happen. I will report this thread if people continue to post confidential info on here.

I'm assuming that most of you are either pharmacists or pharmacy students. You should know better about the HIPPAA law. It is unethical, not to mention ILLEGAL, to post stories about what happened in the pharmacies to others. It DOES NOT matter whether or not you keep the names anonymous. Go back and review the laws!!!! Please consider the consequences before you post anything confidential here. I can't believe SDN actually allows this to happen. I will report this thread if people continue to post confidential info on here.

how is this violating any HIPAA laws???

Quite frankly I find this thread hilarious

If you can't trace it, it's not violating HIPAA.

I would like you to read the HIPPA law and tell us exactly how a violation occurred. You especially want to look at Section 1177 (a) parts 1-4 where the Wrongful Disclosure of Individually Identifiable Health Information is described.

I would like you to read the HIPPA law and tell us exactly how a violation occurred. You especially want to look at Section 1177 (a) parts 1-4 where the Wrongful Disclosure of Individually Identifiable Health Information is described.

Precisely. Posting about an older woman showing off her crotch (to reference a post here :D) is not identifiable in and of itself. There are millions of older women, and that could be any of them. There are also plenty of writers who still write about current and past patients while staying within the HIPPA guidelines.

Also, LOL @ dumediat's experience. Awesome :D

Originally Posted by Phlame217
Not really medication related, but i work at CVS and me and the pharmacist are the only males at work as the front store manager and checker are both female. We had a very distraught lady come in saying she locked her keys in her car and couldnt afford a locksmith. Her car is pretty new and she knew a slim jim wouldnt work.

Now her request, she looks at me and Im moderately built and an very stout due to daily visits to the gym and asks me to go punch out her window. Well at first i thought, yea, right... But she stood there and kept asking. Well i knew better than to break my hand, so I drive a truck and have the locking bed mounts and so i grabbed one of those and made a fist like with brass knuckles and one hit... sounded like a gun shot and the window shattered. Lady reached in and grabbed a pack of cigarettes and a lighter and said thanks.

Are you sure it was HER car???

You are not the sharpest knife in the kitchen are you? By the way, it is HIPAA not HIPPAA, go learn something for heaven's sake.

Originally Posted by Phlame217

Are you sure it was HER car???

Keep reading and you will find that next post from phlame explained that he verified she owned the car and had her sign a document.

Damn, all those real world examples taught in school with names blacked out were BS. If people didn't post stories of what actually happens we don't have evidence based medicine.

Which customer were you?

When I was an intern had a lady in a skintight floor length dress come running up to the counter asking to speak to the pharmacist, who was a young and rather religious lady (important detail as you'll see). Well, the customer states that she was on a motorcycle and burned her leg on the tailpipe. Then, she throws her foot up on the counter to show us and it was at this point we noticed that the floor length dress had a slit in front about "up to there" and she was going commando. The pharmacist shreiked and said "oh, Lord!!" then turned around and walked away. The single funniest thing I've ever seen at work.

Same store had a customer bring in a half used tube of analpram and ask if they could return it. When asked why, the response was it didn't work. Then we realize the Rx was filled 6 months earlier. I thought the pharmacist (rx mgr) was seriously going to punch the guy. He was notorious for not taking any returns, let alone a "6 month old, half-used tube of @$$-cream" as he described it.

You are an idiot. I suggest before you mindlessly spout off in a forum visited by experienced pharmacists and students you pull your head out of your ass and figure out what you are talking about first.

As others have said if you think there has been a HIPPA violation then please point it out to us. Make sure you exactly quote all pertinent areas of the regulation that show there has been a violation.

I had a lady call and ask when the last time she refilled her Femring because she forgot when she put it in. I looked in the computer and told her it was six months ago. She wanted to know if this was bad. I told her I can't imagine its a good thing.

You are right. This is offensive and a blatant disregard for the law. Since you brought it up, I would suggest you report these gross violations to the Department of Health and Human Services. They will be able to take care of it.

You are an idiot. I suggest before you mindlessly spout off in a forum visited by experienced pharmacists and students you pull your head out of your ass and figure out what you are talking about first.

As others have said if you think there has been a HIPPA violation then please point it out to us. Make sure you exactly quote all pertinent areas of the regulation that show there has been a violation.

Dude, we need a mummy emoticon. That post is a year old already.:smuggrin:

:rofl: I saw one like that in pre allo the other day that was resurrected from four years ago. People were bashing the OP and saying he would never get into med school. Little did they know that he is already in his fourth year @ LECOM. I had to :rofl:

Dude, we need a mummy emoticon. That post is a year old already.:smuggrin:

thread-resurrection.jpg

I love old threads. I got banned for a week one time for resurectiong 10 old threads at one time. I think everyone should resurrect at least one old thread a week.

This is a good one that should not be allowed to die. Crazy customer stories never get old.

"If I am paying cash and not using my insurance, do I still need a prescription for prescription strength drugs?"

I did have one customer come in and ask for pseudo.

I told him we were out of the big box he wanted but we had a smaller box.

He said it was not enough to make meth with and he needed the big box.

Then, he left in haste....

Hey, at least he was honest.

Customer: Do you guys have different sized condoms?
Me: They're pretty much one size fits all.
Customer: Not for me they're not...
Me: Well if you really need them, they have the Magnums.
Customer: No, I mean the other way.
Me: Oh. Sorry.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well I am glad you have brought this thread back. Re the post regarding 'ghosts' of slow release tabs. Had this problem in UK with a diuretic/potassium combo slow release tab.
Solved by formulating with brown wax instead of white.
johnep

I've gotten this question couple of times actually.

when you're playing beer pong and run out of unbroken balls it really sucks....or were they were just looking for something to stick in their ass?

Last edited:
I've gotten this question couple of times actually.

It was more of the way it was asked and the appearance of the customer who asked it. Me and the pharmacist were in a deep conversation about cars and this ******* had the nerve to walk up to the counter and interrupted the conversation by asking if we sold ping pong balls (college aged male, wearing a dirty hoody and jeans, and looked high). I gave him a really weird look and responded in the same tone "Naww."

The pharmacist called his wife to tell her about the ping pong thing and she said that we actually sell ping pong balls and they are in Aisle 10, lmao.

One of the stores in our region had a customer bitching to them and ranting about the store being closed on Christmas.

Last edited:
I've had a customer call us from the line waiting for the drive through at 5 o' clock to tell us there were a lot of cars waiting in line. The look on my techs face was priceless when she took this call.

Soooo has anybody had a patient ask why their suppository hurt and didn't work? Can you get in trouble for not telling them to take the wrapper off? :rofl:

The directions for a Terazol cream were printed as "Insert one applicatorful per vagina at bedtime for 7 days". The old lady called up confused to ask what she should do since she only had one vagina.

"These are in my daughter's hair. Is this head lice?" (customer empties louse onto pharmacy counter out of small envelope. Phm tech runs away.)

today a young guy called and started out whispering, asking about his girlfriend using the sponge and a spermicide, and what happens to sperm and how fast do they swim, how far, etc..
I tried to refer him to a Planned Parenthood clinic but he said he was scared and just had a few more questions..
we ended up being on the phone THIRTY EIGHT minutes! he was freaking out and asked a million questions about condoms, their effectiveness, etc..he asked after the first round, if he just knots the condom and it is in bed with them (during round 2) would that be okay? I suggested throwing it away and he said going to the trash can would hurt the mood...So finally I was like "well um, I think having a used condom in bed would kill the mood too"..I did crack up a few times, as discreetly as possible..especially when he said "so will the sponge let the sperms swim a little bit, because you know they want to swim, and then it will get them?" and "do the sperms know that they are going to get caught?"
finally he tells me he thinks his girlfriend is trying to trick him into having a baby, and what should he do..how will he know if she takes the pill every day? then he asked what happens if "a drop of sperm" gets on her..and told me that her vagina "looks like a flower" and if it got on the flower what would happen..:eek: then he compared a contraceptive sponge to a fishnet or a sticky board used for ants, and kept asking if the idea was similar..
finally I just told him to come ask us or go to the clinic if he had questions but I had to go..
I really think it might've been a prank call, but the guy didn't laugh except for a nervous laugh, he said he was embarrassed to ask these questions..he really did sound scared for most of it...
The pharmacist was beside me just dying of laughter..I kept trying to pass the call off to him, but the guy said he wanted a woman's opinion to know how a girl thinks...umm...