What is the deal with repeating the pcats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, what's the deal with repeating the pcats. do pharm schools care if you did real bad on first test, but did average, or real good on the second one. will they count your latest score??

also, what if i'm applying this year, and took the january pcats but did real bad. can i take the april pcats, and have that looked at by pharm schools??

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by tryinghard
Hi, what's the deal with repeating the pcats. do pharm schools care if you did real bad on first test, but did average, or real good on the second one. will they count your latest score??

also, what if i'm applying this year, and took the january pcats but did real bad. can i take the april pcats, and have that looked at by pharm schools??

The only PCAT scores they look at are the ones you submit to them. Obviously this should be the highest of all the attempts.

well if you apply, do not get in, and then re apply, do they keep your old application pcat scores..will this hurt your chances for the next cycle??

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by HighSpeed
The only PCAT scores they look at are the ones you submit to them. Obviously this should be the highest of all the attempts.
But what if you submit more than one set of scores?

yeah..i guess it is a scenario..but you would not do so if you scored bad on one, right?

but yeah..what happens if you submit 2 scores

Originally posted by tryinghard
yeah..i guess it is a scenario..but you would not do so if you scored bad on one, right?

but yeah..what happens if you submit 2 scores

Doesn't make any sense. On the application form it only has a slot for you to enter the results from one PCAT exam, not two. It's actually a good thing to take the PCAT more than once even when you know you would not be submitting the results fro first one to Pharm school.

Another tip on the PCAT. Kaplan, the body that administers the medical exams, MCAT, PCAT, OCT, e.t.c has PCAT preparation classes that you can take that puts you through drills and various exam taking techniques. If you live in a major city like Detroit, Dallas, or Houston you should have a local spot where you can take these classes. Wherever you are though get on the Kaplan website or call them to find out where they would be having these clasess.

G. luck guys.

hey...what are the books like. arent' they the exact same science books as the mcat ones?

how many practice tests, practice problems do they have. by any chance...do you want to sell the practice material.

Originally posted by HighSpeed
Doesn't make any sense. On the application form it only has a slot for you to enter the results from one PCAT exam, not two. It's actually a good thing to take the PCAT more than once even when you know you would not be submitting the results fro first one to Pharm school.
Oh, OK. I thought it was like the SATs, where you have them send your scores to whichever schools you're interested.

Originally posted by Modnar
Oh, OK. I thought it was like the SATs, where you have them send your scores to whichever schools you're interested.

Yes, that's what it's like. You can also request a copy for yourself of course.

Originally posted by Modnar
But what if you submit more than one set of scores?

Depends on the pharmacy school policy. Some schools take the better one -- others look at both -- others look at the most recent. Give 'em a call -- they'll tell you.

much luck.