• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

what is the deal with this reproductive mcat question?

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 4, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
    On the basis of their function as "nurse" cells, which of the following organelles are most likely to be prominent in sertoli cells?
    A. golgi apparatus
    B. lysosomes
    C. mitochondria
    D. cilia

Apparently it's golgi. Whaaaaat? I would have thought mitochondria because nursing cells fits with the whole "providing energy/powerhouse of the cell" concept. Cilia isn't a good answer and neither is lysosome. I had a 50:50 chance, but I got it wrong and conceptually it makes my head hurt. Why is it golgi? The golgi apparatus just packages, ships and adds stuffs like carbs to proteins I dont get it.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
    Jan 21, 2012
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      On the basis of their function as "nurse" cells, which of the following organelles are most likely to be prominent in sertoli cells?
      A. golgi apparatus
      B. lysosomes
      C. mitochondria
      D. cilia

Apparently it's golgi. Whaaaaat? I would have thought mitochondria because nursing cells fits with the whole "providing energy/powerhouse of the cell" concept. Cilia isn't a good answer and neither is lysosome. I had a 50:50 chance, but I got it wrong and conceptually it makes my head hurt. Why is it golgi? The golgi apparatus just packages, ships and adds stuffs like carbs to proteins I dont get it.

You answered the question yourself, the golgi processes molecules (polypeptides) to be secreted from the cell. As a nursing cell, if you're going to be secreting anything odds are you'll be sending it through the vesicular trafficking system aka the golgi. In the case of developing cells, making sure they receive the appropriate hormones/developmental signals at the right time is critical, so we need plenty of active golgi around.

Also consider that ATP is our main source of INTRAcellular energy. When we're moving energy between cells it's generally in the more stable form of carbohydrates.

Reactions: 1 user
      This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.