Medical What is the depth of clinical experiences AdComs are looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to only MD schools this year with relatively good stats (515/3.94). Although I applied early this cycle and my school list is 90% within my stats (very little "reaches"), I am concerned about my very little clinical experience. I live in a city in which there is a very high number of premeds (very tough to find something good in terms of clinical experience due to the competition), and since my freshman year I have been trying to find quality clinical experience. I've applied to over 150 positions over my 4 years, but with very little luck. All I was able to get was around 200 hours of basic hospital volunteering (bedside support): I helped in patient transport, providing emotional support to patients, and overall just being an active listener for patients.

I guess my question is, does my depth of clinical experience prove to be a red flag to AdComs? I loved talking and hearing patients' stories, but the actual work I did "clinically" was very minimal in those experiences (i.e. no taking vitals, aiding physicians in care). I did not directly aid in patient care besides through emotional support for patients. Also, although this is unrelated, I have about 110 hours of physician shadowing across many specialties. Is there anything in particular AdComs are looking for in those clinical experiences besides simply interacting with patients? Will I have a decent shot with these experiences?
200 hrs of patient contact experience is fine. All we ask is that you know what you're getting into and you show that you really want to be around sick people for the next 40 years.

Members don't see this ad.

As a student, you aren't helpful clinically. So just physically being in the hospital, being AROUND patients and the healthcare team, and getting a sense of what it's like in the field is what they are looking for. You don't need to be placing central lines or doing appendectomies yet.

I've applied to over 150 positions over my 4 years, but with very little luck. All I was able to get was around 200 hours of basic hospital volunteering (bedside support): I helped in patient transport, providing emotional support to patients, and overall just being an active listener for patients.

I guess my question is, does my depth of clinical experience prove to be a red flag to AdComs?

Also, although this is unrelated, I have about 110 hours of physician shadowing across many specialties. Is there anything in particular AdComs are looking for in those clinical experiences besides simply interacting with patients?

Will I have a decent shot with these experiences?
The hours you already have are above average for applicants. There are a few schools that seem to expect more, but for general application purposes, you're fine, especially if your physician shadowing includes primary care (pediatrics, internal med, family med, psych, +/or OBGYN).

Status
Not open for further replies.