What is the difference about going out of the State to study medice?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sugar_creek, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sugar_creek

sugar_creek Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have a group of buddies who are leaving this coming fall to a med school in poland. MCAT is not required, but there is a high fee to pay. Is there a catch to this? 4 years there and you're a doctor?? Does anyone know anyone who is taking this route?

What about returning back to the state to practice? Is it harder to practice?

2. All medical schools outside the US create more hoops to jump through when you come back (given that you would want to come back). You will have to complete a residency here anyway, but the residency you want will be harder to get as an IMG. There's no good reason to do this if you can get into a US med school........ and if you can't just pick another career.

3. ddmo

ddmo BMF
    10+ Year Member

You have to take the USMLEs and are at a huge disadvantage when applying for residencies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. brightblueeyes

brightblueeyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This isn't a concern if your friends only plan to work in the US. But along with the other points raised in this thread, there is a further complication if a student decides at some point he or she would like to stay and practice in the EU. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I think some European countries have problems recognizing these particular 4 year medical programs. (Whereas they don't have a problem with the Polish 6 year degrees.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. run4boston

run4boston formerly Run
    7+ Year Member

Agreed. US medical schools are geared toward passing the USLMEs. Coming back means spending the extra time required to pass the tests. Also, residency directors are more familiar with the training at US medical schools/hospitals as compared to foreign schools.

6. chintu

chintu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know a few people who went that 6 year route at poland. Not sure how they ended up doing, but all i know is that its not a very good idea. There are many many drawbacks to it...although it may not seem apparent at first. The admission criteria at those programs is absolutely non-selective...provided you graduated from high school they will accept anyone if they pay the fees...Now imagine being in a class with a bunch of students who are probably not very intelligent, lack confidence since they've given up on us schools before even trying, probably not motivated to go into medicine as much as others since they are not even willing to go through 4 yrs of undergrad here and give it a shot at us schools....It would be relatively very easy to do well there compared to your classmates and it will give u a false sense of security that you are doing well in med school. Later, when its time for step I you will realize that you are competing against a much brighter group of students from all over the us med schools and better foreign med schools. I might add, you will need to extremely well on step I, that means at least better than nat'l avg. to even have a shot of getting one of the least competitive residencies in a place you may not like living...Now i realize i made a few generalizations there, but if you are really motivated to go into medicine, you should be at least willing to try. If you then don't succeed at us school, then i suggest going caribbean. They prepare better for usmles and they have decent match too.

7. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your best bets if you don't get into U.S. schools are:

St Georges in Grenada
    Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
    Flinders or U. Syd in Australia

I was ready to go to U. Sydney before I was accepted in the U.S. It is a pretty famous med school but it is not geared to the USMLE like St Georges.

Save yourself a lot of hassle by going to school in an English speaking country.