What is the difference between a MD and DO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENTSteven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a MD and DO??

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I'll venture that many will suggest you search the forums for this topic. There are literally dozens (if not more) threads devoted to the differences between MD and DO.

In a nutshell, both have the same education in the US with the addition of OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine) for the DO degree. DOs are considered medically, legally and professionally equivalent to MDs in the US - as opposed to the degree in Australia which is much more akin to the chiropractic degree.

OOhhhhh I see

You mean DO = Chiropractor!!!

HUM........................., that is right, they are called doctors in the US..

Well thank you for letting me know.

do they have to go through medical school as well or they have their own training programs?

I am learning alot from you kimberley.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ENTSteven
OOhhhhh I see

You mean DO = Chiropractor!!!

HUM........................., that is right, they are called doctors in the US..

Well thank you for letting me know.

do they have to go through medical school as well or they have their own training programs?

I am learning alot from you kimberley.

NO no no....please do not misinterpret what I wrote.

In the UNITED STATES, a DO = Doctor of Osteopathy. DOs go to their own medical schools (schools of osteopathy) but have the same curriculum (with the addition of OMM training as I mentioned in my earlier post), same education as do MDs in the US. They are eligible for the same residency training positions as well.

In the UNITED STATES a Chiropractor has the DC (Doctor of Chiropractic) degree. They also have their own schools but the education is vastly different than that of MDs or DOs and they are NOT eligible for medical residencies after completing their degree.

My reference to chiropractic in my earlier post was meant to highlight the fact that the DO degree in Australia and many European countries is not a true medical degree but is rather akin to chiropractice. DOs in these countries are not eligible for US residency training and do not have the scope of practice of physicians or surgeons.

Therefore, please note that the DO degree means different things in different countries. US trained DOs have had some difficulty getting other foreign licensing bodies to understand this and to allow them medical practice priviledges.

Hope this helps.

cheers

DO = medical degree + manipulation qualification

I see now.

they are real doctors like you and myself!

alright, the reason i say this is that in Oz, not many medical practioner, doctors regard chiropractor as a safe practice

Originally posted by ENTSteven
cheers

DO = medical degree + manipulation qualification

I see now.

they are real doctors like you and myself!

alright, the reason i say this is that in Oz, not many medical practioner, doctors regard chiropractor as a safe practice

That is exactly why I tried to make the comparison because I know in Oz, DOs are essentially chiropractors. In the US, DOs are fully qualified doctors.

All of you missed the crux of the difference between MD's and DO's:

on the Simpsons, Homer calls the MD Dr. Hibbert, whereas the DO is known as Dr. Steve.

Well who the *&%$ is Dr. Nick then? He must be an IMG. That would explain the accent. Relax...just kidding.

Originally posted by Ohiobuddhist
Well who the *&%$ is Dr. Nick then? He must be an IMG. That would explain the accent. Relax...just kidding.

Dr. Nick went to "Hollywood Upstairs Medical College". Dr. Zoidberg on Futurama is defininately a FMG =)

There may be no difference between an MD and a DO but I wanted to be an MD strictly because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life explaining to my family, friends, and patients that a "DO" is a real doctor, just like an "MD."

I am shallow, I know, but there it is.

Originally posted by Panda Bear
There may be no difference between an MD and a DO but I wanted to be an MD strictly because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life explaining to my family, friends, and patients that a "DO" is a real doctor, just like an "MD."

I am shallow, I know, but there it is.

dude, I heard that! I don't blame you, I feel the same way ... especially when I consider chiropractors quacks, and chiropractors are DO's ...

Yo -
Is there really a Dr. Steve on the Simpsons? If so, which episodes is he/she in?

Dave

p.s. MD=DO

Members don't see this ad :)
how long has the DO degree been around in the US?

A.T. Still opened the first DO school in Kirksville, Missouri right at the end of the 1890's (I think). So the DO degree has been around for about 100 years.

Dave

Well if it's been around for that long why all the stigma/DO v MD debate? Hmm, you guys should have made it a whole lot easier with just one type of medical degree.

Originally posted by miscalculated
Well if it's been around for that long why all the stigma/DO v MD debate? Hmm, you guys should have made it a whole lot easier with just one type of medical degree.

I still wanna know what happened to Thorsten!

- Tae

It seems you don't want me to have any American friends!

Originally posted by miscalculated
It seems you don't want me to have any American friends!

No, no - just trying to figure out what kind of friends you were looking for.

- Tae