What is the difference between academic physician and physician scientist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marq_bme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Academic physicians can take on any of a number of roles associated with academic hospitals. An academic physician could, for instance, be a clinical professor who is in charge of training residents.

Physician scientist refers more to those who do research as well as clinical care

sounds like physician scientist = MD/Phd. Or atleast a physician that does research at a major univ.

I always think of academic physicians to have atleast two of three jobs--
1. have patients (they're doctors!)
2. do research
3. perhaps teach some clinical classes

I have seen tons of docs do all 3 at my univ. I suppose a physician scientist might stress more of "2" and "3" while having very little patients. That's just my guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The academic physician teaches at a medical school, and the physician scientist does research.

Spudster's beating me to the punch on all the threads. :) Anyway, that's exactly right. The distinctions are between academics vs. private practice and medicine vs. research. There can be overlap in any or all of these areas. Many academic physicians spend at least a portion of their time doing some form of research, whether it be clinical or bench. Most MD/PhDs stay in academics and many of these become physician-scientists in that they do some combination of medicine and research. However, a fair number of MD/PhDs go into private industry. These days academic/clinical appointments and private enterprise are often associated and a physician-scientist may be involved in both elements. As you can see, there is no single "right" formula--part of being an MD/PhD is learning to carve your own path. Hope this helps. :D

I second the grand SMW on that one :wink:

One thing not mentioned is the difference in clinical vs. basic research. This should probably be discussed (or already is) on the MSTP forum, but I'd think academic physician is the label placed upon clinical investigators whereas physician scientists are more of the basic science researchers. Of course both could also be seeing patients, but the former is more likely to.
Also note the name "Medical Scientist Training Program" would seem more naturally to imply the training of Medical Scientists or Physician Scientist

Depending on the circles with which you are running, both can refer to people with MD's who do some sort of research and who also may teach at med schools. In general, I think that physician scientists are those MD's who may or may not also have PhD's and who do research most of the time (usually basic science) and do little to no clinical work (seeing patients) and may or may not teach. Academic physicians, in general, work or are associated with medical schools and/or large medical institutions, where they have clinical (seeing patients), research (basic science and/or clinical research), and oftentimes, teaching responsibilities (to medical students and/or residents). Key words: scientist=deals with science; academic (academia)=learning and/or teaching.

sounds like physician scientist = MD/Phd. Or atleast a physician that does research at a major univ.

I always think of academic physicians to have atleast two of three jobs--
1. have patients (they're doctors!)
2. do research
3. perhaps teach some clinical classes

I have seen tons of docs do all 3 at my univ. I suppose a physician scientist might stress more of "2" and "3" while having very little patients. That's just my guess.

I wonder what happened to "tweetie"? Did she fly away after starting medical school all those years ago?

I have "very little patients" since most of my babies are < 2 kg :p. So I guess I'm a physician scientist and an academic physician.

Although often used interchangeably, in general it is possible to be a physician scientist and not be in academic medicine. For example, one could practice medicine in a private setting while working for a private research or pharmaceutical company. This is uncommon but not unheard of (I know a few). Such folks may have an honorary or limited academic appointment. It is certainly common to be an academic physician, that is, one who works for a medical school, and not be a scientist, that is, not do research.

But, mostly I like having "little patients"!