What is the difference between American University of Antigua and Trinity School Of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhusudhakar GB

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between American University Of Antigua and Trinity School Of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

One is in Antigua, the other in St. Vincent. Otherwise, not much. Not much is different.

In the big picture this is probably true. In the small picture, AUA has more resources and is on a better island than Trinity.

I would recommend you DO NOT attend either one of these schools. Either you will not make it out of their program or you will not match. The only Caribbean school worth considering for the ideal candidate is St. George's University in Grenada.

I can't emphasize it any more but DO NOT GO TO THE SCHOOLS YOU LISTED. It will be a big mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are many different medical schools in the Caribbean ranging from schools that have been there for decades and some schools which have recently started. Before you pick a school do your research (review the accreditation of the school, how many graduates, match rate, USMLE pass rate). Please do not base one of the biggest decisions in your life based on which island is nicer (you are not going on vacation) although it will make it easier for daily living. Also be leary on these websites when people give you a one sided opinion. To be honest I had to google Trinity school of medicine to see what they are about. Reviewing their State approvals they are lacking many various approvals that AUA has. AUA is recognized by the State board of California (even if you don't want to work in California other states follow them), NY state recognized, and many others. You can easily look up this information on the schools website. To the post directly above stating only go to St. Georges I would like to as why that is the only school for the so called Ideal candidate and what makes that school better than the other major schools in the Caribbean? To the original poster if you have questions please message me so I can answer any specific questions and get you facts so you can make an informed decision. I used this website back in 2008 to help make my decision on which medical school to go too.

Last edited:
Before you pick a school do your research (review the accreditation of the school, how many graduates, match rate, USMLE pass rate). Please do not base one of the biggest decisions...

You seem to know what this means. Please explain.

(Hint: there is only a single accreditation that matters on that page. And Trinity also has it.)

Not arguing that the California BOM approval doesn't matter, but this is not an "accreditation". And, it can be pulled at any time by the California BOM for any school, U.S. or foreign.

-Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You seem to know what this means. Please explain.

(Hint: there is only a single accreditation that matters on that page. And Trinity also has it.)

Not arguing that the California BOM approval doesn't matter, but this is not an "accreditation". And, it can be pulled at any time by the California BOM for any school, U.S. or foreign.

-Skip

Ok you are correct. I will edit my comment. For a lot of the students California and NY state approval does matter so I am just stating those facts. Also you are correct that at anytime the states could revoke those approvals but usually unless there is gross negligence a school would get a warning to correct its issues. So when and if that ever happens people would know.

If you know you will be able to obtain loans for all four years, Trinity SOM is a much better medical school. They are run by good people with vast stateside medical school experience, have a good record of matching into residencies, and not many people fail classes. I would never recommend going to AUA, even if it is your only option. 3/4 of the students have to retake a semester/year. It seems just like a cold hearted money making scheme to me. Trinity is considerably harder to finance, as AUA students can fill out the FAFSA, but it takes a long time to receive the aid at AUA. At Trinity, the aid is there before the start of the semester. At AUA the odds of leaving the school with a residency are quite a bit lower than at Trinity. At Trinity, I would say it is around 70%, AUA much much lower. It comes down to who runs the school. Lastly, AUA does have better facilities.

If you know you will be able to obtain loans for all four years, Trinity SOM is a much better medical school. They are run by good people with vast stateside medical school experience, have a good record of matching into residencies, and not many people fail classes. I would never recommend going to AUA, even if it is your only option. 3/4 of the students have to retake a semester/year. It seems just like a cold hearted money making scheme to me. Trinity is considerably harder to finance, as AUA students can fill out the FAFSA, but it takes a long time to receive the aid at AUA. At Trinity, the aid is there before the start of the semester. At AUA the odds of leaving the school with a residency are quite a bit lower than at Trinity. At Trinity, I would say it is around 70%, AUA much much lower. It comes down to who runs the school. Lastly, AUA does have better facilities.

What is your relationship to Trinity SOM?

I am a student there. It is a good place, honestly. How they market it is how the place really is.

Trinity isn't worth attending, period. Go Big 4 or don't go at all, as there is no reason a decent candidate would get rejected by all four.

I am a student there. It is a good place, honestly. How they market it is how the place really is.

This is a very odd and substance-less post.

Please expand what you meant.

-Skip

Only two posts, both in this thread?
latest.png

For a lot of the students California and NY state approval does matter so I am just stating those facts. Also you are correct that at anytime the states could revoke those approvals but usually unless there is gross negligence a school would get a warning to correct its issues. So when and if that ever happens people would know.

There is no such thing as California approval anymore. The state of California just removed their state approval/disapproval list and will now follow the ECFMG rules. This goes into effect in 2020. NY approval doesn't matter unless you want to do all of your cores there, in which case you should go to medical school in NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no such thing as California approval anymore. The state of California just removed their state approval/disapproval list and will now follow the ECFMG rules. This goes into effect in 2020. NY approval doesn't matter unless you want to do all of your cores there, in which case you should go to medical school in NY.

Do you have a link with this? So any Caribbean school with regional accreditation that passes ECFMG muster will have no states off limits?

Do you have a link with this? So any Caribbean school with regional accreditation that passes ECFMG muster will have no states off limits?

Please just ignore Caribpro (a.k.a. "aformerstudent"). This person is a meddler who posts half-truths and generally does not know what he/she is talking about.

The California list of approved schools can be found here:

There are also several states who maintain comity with California's rules. So, if your school is not on this list, you're gonna have problems in that state too.

-Skip

Please just ignore Caribpro (a.k.a. "aformerstudent"). This person is a meddler who posts half-truths and generally does not know what he/she is talking about.

The California list of approved schools can be found here:

There are also several states who maintain comity with California's rules. So, if your school is not on this list, you're gonna have problems in that state too.

-Skip
Please ignore Skip intro, he is an old, sad man who doesn't know what is happening in the medical education field today.

As of Jan 1 2020, California approval no longer exists. Anyone starting medical school now, doesn't need to worry about it.

Bill Text - SB-798 Healing arts: boards.

To be totally clear, any school with accredidation by one of the accrediting bodies that meets the WFME standards (in the Caribbean that is either CAAM-HP or ACCM) will be fine for ECGME certification. So schools with accredidation by an individual country will NOT be ok.

See the above link for info about California. Since this literally just happened, most of the states that follow the California list have not said what they will do, but in my opinion it is likely they will continue to follow California's lead and adopt the 2023 rules as well.

First off, current law is still in effect for the next two years. Nothing changes until after then. (Again, with the "Caribpro" imprecision duly noted.)

After that...

(F) If the medical school graduate graduated from a foreign medical school approved by the board pursuant to Section 2084, an official Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certification Status Report confirming the graduate is ECFMG certified.

Sec 2084:

(1) The foreign medical school has been evaluated by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or one of the ECFMG-authorized foreign medical school accreditation agencies and deemed to meet the minimum requirements substantially equivalent to the requirements of medical schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools, or the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation.

(2) The foreign medical school is listed on the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) World Directory of Medical Schools joint directory or the World Directory of Medical Schools

Let's pick this apart. First off, they are separate but substantially equivalent requirements. You don't need both. Technicality? Yes. But important.

The ECFMG rules will only apply if the school isn't already FAIMER or WFME listed. Essentially, California is getting out of the business of individually listing and recognizing medical schools (which was probably daunting and costly). However, effectively the same hurdles will still apply. If the school is not already equivalent to a U.S. education, you will not get a license as evidenced by these hurdles.

So, while this is technically correct, this new law basically mirrors how New York has been operating for decades. Actually, thanks for sharing this, Caribpro (a.k.a. "aformerstudent"). Even though you still did it sloppily, as per usual.

-Skip

However, effectively the same hurdles will still apply. If the school is not already equivalent to a U.S. education, you will not get a license as evidenced by these hurdles.

So, while this is technically correct, this new law basically mirrors how New York has been operating for decades. Actually, thanks for sharing this, Caribpro (a.k.a. "aformerstudent"). Even though you still did it sloppily, as per usual.

Again, you Do Not know what you are talking about. The same hurdles WILL NOT still apply. California is getting out of the approval game completely (you are right that the reason is financial though). The California approval process up to this point has been a completely separate and more difficult process than the regional accredidation standards (CAAM/ACCM). Schools like Ross & SGU were grandfathered in to the California approval list (after a large "donation") and never had to meet the CA "standards". It was all political and financially driven. Now it will actually be about what standards the school meets, not how big their checkbook is.

And it is NOT how NY has been doing it. NY still has laws on the books that states schools must have NY approval for their students to be able to be licensed/eligible for residency in that state. The rules still exist, but aren't enforced (with the exception of clerkship spots which SGU has on lock).

California is completely removing their approval process, NY state is not.

And it is NOT how NY has been doing it.

Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs

Satisfactory completion of the following:

• A curriculum of not less than 32 months (4 academic years) in a medical program recognized as an acceptable educational program for physicians by the appropriate civil authorities of the country in which the school is located and receipt of the degree of Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or the equivalent as determined by the Department. You must complete the final year of medical education at the school that awarded you the degree.
  • A satisfactory proficiency examination. Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification will satisfy this requirement.
NYS Medicine:License Requirements
Please just go away. Please. You are a liar (see this thread). You have already been banned from this forum (twice). You are a failure/dropout. And you are nothing more than a meddler with an agenda.

-Skip

Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs

Satisfactory completion of the following:

• A curriculum of not less than 32 months (4 academic years) in a medical program recognized as an acceptable educational program for physicians by the appropriate civil authorities of the country in which the school is located and receipt of the degree of Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or the equivalent as determined by the Department. You must complete the final year of medical education at the school that awarded you the degree.
  • A satisfactory proficiency examination. Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification will satisfy this requirement.
NYS Medicine:License Requirements
Please just go away. Please. You are a liar (see this thread). You have already been banned from this forum (twice). You are a failure/dropout. And you are nothing more than a meddler with an agenda.

-Skip

I'm having a really hard time believing you graduated medical school considering you can't read an entire webpage comprehensively.

Read. the. rest. of. the. website.

"Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs

If you did not graduate from a NYS-registered or LCME- or AOA-accredited medical program, you must complete at least three years of postgraduate hospital training in an accredited residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association, or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. "

There are laws about getting residencies in NY state, but they aren't enforced. The only real rules that are enforced are relating to clerkships.

I'm having a really hard time believing you graduated medical school considering you can't read an entire webpage comprehensively.

Read. the. rest. of. the. website.

"Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs

If you did not graduate from a NYS-registered or LCME- or AOA-accredited medical program, you must complete at least three years of postgraduate hospital training in an accredited residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association, or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. "

There are laws about getting residencies in NY state, but they aren't enforced. The only real rules that are enforced are relating to clerkships.

The part you highlight has to do with securing a permanent, independent license to practice medicine, which requires 3 years of ACGME-approved post-graduate training. I’m speaking about apples; you are throwing oranges.

Who’s confused?

-Skip

The part you highlight has to do with securing a permanent, independent license to practice medicine, which requires 3 years of ACGME-approved post-graduate training. I’m speaking about apples; you are throwing oranges.

Who’s confused?

-Skip
you're just speaking out your @$$ lol. you were wrong and you can't admit it. sad.

you're just speaking out your @$$ lol. you were wrong and you can't admit it. sad.

No, you just don’t understsnd what you’re highlighting and what the issue is. If you are an IMG, you can’t get a permanent license in NY until you have completed three years of ACGME-approved training. U.S. grads can get a permanent license after only one year. This may have ramifications if, for example, you want to start moonlighting after your internship year. This has been like this for decades and has been called discriminatory.

But, this is your posting pattern. You boldly make some proclamation that you falsely believe is irrefutable. Then, you don’t adress the questions you’re asked, you change the subject, you post half-truths, the gist of whatever point you’re trying to make is usually only partially correct, and then when your inaccuracies are called out or you’re asked to clarify something you start hurling insults. And, finally you’re a liar.

You serve no instructive purpose here; only destructive.

-Skip

Last edited:
You literatly dont know what you are talking about. Off shore medical education is incredibly nuanced in the rules and regulations. You keep just reading a website really fast to try and bring yourself up to speed on concepts you clearly can't understand.

You didn't know about Ross's campus ops (what part they own vs lease, what is happening on campus today, who paid for the relocation of all the students/facutly, etc). You didn't know about California regulations and tried to tell me I was wrong, when in fact YOU are. You obviously dont understand the rules in NY state. You dont know what you are talking about at all. You try to act like you know but you don't.

You should stick to the things you know about and let the experts talk about big boy subjects. Go back to reliving your glory days from moo cow trail 15 years ago....

Ad hominem, the last refuge of a small mind.

Everything I've posted is factually correct. While I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

Again... for the record...

... this is your posting pattern. You boldly make some proclamation that you falsely believe is irrefutable. Then, you don’t address the questions you’re asked, you change the subject, you post half-truths, the gist of whatever point you’re trying to make is usually only partially correct, and then when your inaccuracies are called out or you’re asked to clarify something you start hurling insults. And, finally you’re a liar.

-Skip

LOL OK skippy.

Just in the past day you've posted factually untrue things about Ross Med ops, California approval board and regulations in NY state, but keep telling yourself you know and understand.

Your inability to admit when you are wrong and assimilitate new info when it is presented to you makes you look like a sad, old man with a fragile ego.

This is way more entertaining when the sparring partner (deemed unarmed in a battle of wits) is blocked.