What is the difference of in-state vs out of state GPA/MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a state school reports their average MCAT as say a 513 (and say a 511 matriculant), how much lower is the average for in state applicants, considering out of state applicants/matriculants are usually much higher than in state?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This will vary a lot, since the portion of seats going to OOS varies a lot. For example Oregon clearly wants their out of state people to bring the high stats, but only 25% of each class for them is out of state people. The instate crowd still must be populating up to that 75th percentile mark.

I think really the bar that gets lowered is for interviewing, anyways. Take Iowa. They interview like 85-90% of instate applicants, but must still admit mostly from the upper end of the score range for their median to stay that high (512)

Members don't see this ad :)
This will vary a lot, since the portion of seats going to OOS varies a lot. For example Oregon clearly wants their out of state people to bring the high stats, but only 25% of each class for them is out of state people. The instate crowd still must be populating up to that 75th percentile mark.

I think really the bar that gets lowered is for interviewing, anyways. Take Iowa. They interview like 85-90% of instate applicants, but must still admit mostly from the upper end of the score range for their median to stay that high (512)

Is there a place where we can get data on the stats of In-state vs OOS matriculants for every school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Other than Oregon, do you know which other schools are known to only accept higher stats from OOS?

They are the only one I've seen state explicitly one their website that they want OOS people to be above-median GPA/MCAT. I know U of Washington makes a similar statement about URM, saying they generally only interview out of state people filling that demographic.

I suspect this practice is quietly widespread though.

Reactions: 1 users
They are the only one I've seen state explicitly one their website that they want OOS people to be above-median GPA/MCAT. I know U of Washington makes a similar statement about URM, saying they generally only interview out of state people filling that demographic.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

OHSU says something similar on their website

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools publish this data. I did some analysis on U of M in the U of M thread for this past cycle. The difference was roughly 5~ LizzyM points, this will vary a lot, but a good rule of thumb is you should be above the median lizzyM if you are applying to a state school as an OOS student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user