What is the different between cartilage and fibrocartilage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seasurfer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly tell me what is the different between cartilage and fibrocartilage? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

"Cartilage is type of dense connective tissue. Cartilage is composed of cells called chondrocytes which are dispersed in a firm gel-like ground substance, called the matrix. Cartilage contains no blood vessels and nutrients are diffused through the matrix. Cartilage is found in the joints, the rib cage, the ear, the nose, in the throat and between intervertebral disks. There are three main types of cartilage: hyaline, elastic & fibrocartilage."

fibrocartlidge is a type of cartlidge. I think what you are referring to when you say cartlidge is hyaline cartlidge. Hyaline cartlidge only has collagen I while fibrocartlidge has collagen I and II

Members don't see this ad :)
Fibrocartilage is a bit tougher and not as springy as other types. it binds vertebral bodies, the pubic symphysis--i missed that on my last practical :(, the manubrium to the sternum, and the mandibular joint, among other things. Histologically, it looks more like dense CT than cartilage.

TheRussian said:
fibrocartlidge is a type of cartlidge. I think what you are referring to when you say cartlidge is hyaline cartlidge. Hyaline cartlidge only has collagen I while fibrocartlidge has collagen I and II

I think u mean hyaline has mostly type II collagen...

Tallguy said:
I think u mean hyaline has mostly type II collagen...

Yes you're right, my appologies. Just thinking back to Histology makes me shudder which may explain my mistake.

if you have to identify fibrocartilage on a slide, look for a lightly staining (i guess in H&E) 'herring-bone' pattern, where as elastic and hyaline cartilage have more obvious chondrocytes chillin' in their lacunae

"Fibro" of course...

I couldn't resist.

seasurfer said:
Can anyone kindly tell me what is the different between cartilage and fibrocartilage? Thanks. :)

Thanks for everyone's reply. :)