What is the different between the various kinds of residency types (AOA, ACGME, University)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I think aCgme is an MD residency and AoA is DO, is that right?

Also, whatvis a university residency (not sure if that's the right term, but I think I hear it discussed a lot)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, whatvis a university residency (not sure if that's the right term, but I think I hear it discussed a lot)

ACGME is/was specially for MD grads until they allowed DO grads to enter their residency programs.

AOA is/was strictly DO unless a program had dual accred (in which there was either residency that had an ACGME and an AOA program within the department).

AOA programs will cease to exist in 2020 due to the merger. AOA programs applying for ACGME have the option of applying for osteopathic distinction. So far not many have.

A university residency is a residency that is affiliated with a university medical center. The medical center can be under the name of university (UCSD Medical Center) or it can be an affiliate in which the administration that leads the way for GME is under university leadership (usually clinical faculty with appointments to both the school and the hospital system). Examples: Montefiore with Albert Einstein University , BWH/MGH/BIDMC with Harvard

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
ACGME is/was specially for MD grads until they allowed DO grads to enter their residency programs.

AOA is/was strictly DO unless a program had dual accred (in which there was either residency that had an ACGME and an AOA program within the department).

AOA programs will cease to exist in 2020 due to the merger. AOA programs applying for ACGME have the option of applying for osteopathic distinction. So far not many have.

A university residency is a residency that is affiliated with a university medical center. The medical center can be under the name of university (UCSD Medical Center) or it can be an affiliate in which the administration that leads the way for GME is under university leadership (usually clinical faculty with appointments to both the school and the hospital system). Examples: Montefiore with Albert Einstein University , BWH/MGH/BIDMC with Harvard

Are university affiliated residencies generally perceived as more prestigious, or is there no difference in that regard

Members don't see this ad :)
Are university affiliated residencies generally perceived as more prestigious, or is there no difference in that regard

Depends on the field but generally yeah. But more prestigious =\= better training

Reactions: 1 user

As @AnatomyGrey12 said, yes they are considered more prestigious especially if you're training with an ivy league school (UPenn, Stanford, etc etc) but who knows if it's "the best" training. If anything, these programs provide so many tracks for you (see the IM tracks at Mt Sinai Hospital) that allow you to hone in on an interest and master it for your career. Additionally, they provide a wealth of resources and monitorship should you decide to sub specialize or pursue academics. Is the clinical training "the best", I don't know if I'd say that just because it's university that it is. I have heard of excellent community hospital residences as well.

My question is..after the merger, will ANY residency have *~any~* time for OMM?

Also, Since the class of 2021 will be matching with a post-merger match, will I still have to take both the COMLEX and USMLE? Or have they not decided how thats going to work yet

My question is..after the merger, will ANY residency have *~any~* time for OMM?

Also, Since the class of 2021 will be matching with a post-merger match, will I still have to take both the COMLEX and USMLE? Or have they not decided how thats going to work yet

Those that apply for osteopathic distinction will have OMM requirements within their curriculum and competencies for their residents.

The comlex is required to graduate from a DO school. There will still be residency programs that will not look at the comlex and/or prefer the USMLE. So currently it appears that you will need to take both.

Reactions: 1 users
So if I'm getting this correctly will osteopathic distinction programs only be for DOs and mds that have had OMM training?

By the time you are a student, AOA won't exist anymore, so don't even worry about that. Everything will be ACGME.

University programs are affiliated with university medical centers, as AS mentioned. The big advantage of them is that they tend to be at bigger hospitals that have a broader range of pathology, and that they tend to also be at places with a lot of research and connections to fellowships. University programs are better than community programs if you want to do a fellowship down the line or obtain an academic position. There are also two types of community programs out there- university affiliated community programs and regular community programs. University affiliated community programs tend to be at mid-size hospitals that often have a few fellowships under their belt and a decent mix of pathology present. They're a step up from plain old community programs, and also tend to have some research going on, as well as medical students that rotate through the area. Often, university affiliated programs will allow you to do rotations at the larger university medical center for certain things, and you are often provided with lectures from the university's respective department. Community programs tend to be at the smallest hospitals and have the narrowest range of pathology, but turn out physicians that are good at the bread and butter stuff since it's what they do all day. It's tough to match at a fellowship out of one of these programs, but they provide excellent training for non-academic positions (not to say you can't end up in academics, but it's a much more difficult climb).

Reactions: 3 users