what is the easiest opt school to get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ok, hopefully no one gets offended here...I'm just asking because I'm not so confident in my prereqs...my dream school is SUNY

but I know that I probably wont get in....

these are my stats:
gen chem: C+, C-, D (retaking it at cc and getting a A in the whole series)
Math: B, B, C-
Stats: A
English Req: B-
Anatomy: C
Psych: A
Ochem: W (from my cc, but I am going to retake it UCSD)

So I guess thats a 2.81
I haven't taken OAT yet.
But I did this volunteer abroad thing for a month in India to give eye care/cure blindness in poor areas so thats good. And I shadowed/worked with an optometrist for a summer. I am 2 pre-opt clubs. Starting my own opt club.

Members don't see this ad.

look at the stats of the classes from each school and that will give you an idea of where you can fit in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, hopefully no one gets offended here...I'm just asking because I'm not so confident in my prereqs...my dream school is SUNY

but I know that I probably wont get in....

these are my stats:
gen chem: C+, C-, D (retaking it at cc and getting a A in the whole series)
Math: B, B, C-
Stats: A
English Req: B-
Anatomy: C
Psych: A
Ochem: W (from my cc, but I am going to retake it UCSD)

So I guess thats a 2.81
I haven't taken OAT yet.
But I did this volunteer abroad thing for a month in India to give eye care/cure blindness in poor areas so thats good. And I shadowed/worked with an optometrist for a summer. I am 2 pre-opt clubs. Starting my own opt club.

I'm not going to lie, it's going to be tough to get into SUNY with those stats. I mean what about your BIO and Physics and stuff? What did you get in those courses?

No offense, I feel those numbers aren't good enough for admission (I admit, I say this without your O.A.T. scores).

The easiest A.S.C.O. school of optometry to get into almost certainly is I.A.U.P.R.

what year in undergrad are you? If you are first year, you have time to bring up your gpa. Many schools will forgive a bad first year. If you are third year it's going to be difficult.

I highly doubt suny will accept you with that gpa, even if you score high on the oat. They are one of the "tougher" schools to get into.

i did my first year at ucsd
i'm on my second year at cc
going back for the 3rd/4th year at ucsd.

bio i got ap credit so i'm not taking it.
i havent taken physics yet.
applying in jul 2011

and i want to stay in america (so i dont want to go to puerto rico)

Judging from your post, I am assuming you are a UCSD student applying for the next cycle. As a UCSD alumnus currently applying to opt school. I would recommend you the following:

- retake classes in the same institution, the new grade will replace your previous lower one when it comes to GPA calculation.
- obtain more shadowing experience. Preferably at 2~3 different places so you have a good understanding of this profession.
- If you have more time, look for community service or volunteer opportunities. UCSD Circle K, VA Hospital, Insight Pre-Optometry are good places to start.
- Study hard for OAT, it a lot easier to perform well in OAT than raise GPA. And it's a good way to show opt schools that you have a strong command of the subject that you didn't do too well during your undergrad. Take a prep course if you have to. I know Insight Pre-optometry offers discount for OAT prep course.
- apply early for next cycle.
- talk to other people members of the opt club, in my experience they are friendly and will help you with any question you have. It might be easier for you to become an officer of the existing clubs (doesn't have to be opt club) rather than start a new one.

You are more than just numbers, and opt schools know this well. GPA and OAT are just two of the many factors that help them determine if you are a good candidate for their program. Show them that you are a well-rounded student with a passion in optometry will help your success in application greatly.

thanks for the advice :) i worked at shiley opth. center....and i am an officer (was) in the opt clubs.
i am going to apply july 2011 for fall 2012.... what are some good OD offices to ask for shadowing?
also, when I shadowed ppl back home, the OD let me in while he examined patients and basically i was just wathcing him do his job...how do i get more involved in shadowing?

Judging from your post, I am assuming you are a UCSD student applying for the next cycle. As a UCSD alumnus currently applying to opt school. I would recommend you the following:

- retake classes in the same institution, the new grade will replace your previous lower one when it comes to GPA calculation.
- obtain more shadowing experience. Preferably at 2~3 different places so you have a good understanding of this profession.
- If you have more time, look for community service or volunteer opportunities. UCSD Circle K, VA Hospital, Insight Pre-Optometry are good places to start.
- Study hard for OAT, it a lot easier to perform well in OAT than raise GPA. And it's a good way to show opt schools that you have a strong command of the subject that you didn't do too well during your undergrad. Take a prep course if you have to. I know Insight Pre-optometry offers discount for OAT prep course.
- apply early for next cycle.
- talk to other people members of the opt club, in my experience they are friendly and will help you with any question you have. It might be easier for you to become an officer of the existing clubs (doesn't have to be opt club) rather than start a new one.

You are more than just numbers, and opt schools know this well. GPA and OAT are just two of the many factors that help them determine if you are a good candidate for their program. Show them that you are a well-rounded student with a passion in optometry will help your success in application greatly.

I'd recommend Dr. Valenti and Dr. Tran who practices vision therapy across from UCSD. I had a great time shadowing under them, and they allow me to interact with some of their patients. The office sometimes have 4th year rotation students working there, and they can give you some comments of the school they attend to and life as an optometry student.

Yeah, I went by their office once last year. UCSD wouldn't let me take chem 6a and b over because i got a c+ and c- and the only way it would replace your grade is if you failed it...as in a d or lower.
would it be a good idea to retake in my senior year (for opto purposes) when I have more time in my schedule.

now i still have to take the oat, physics, ochem, micro, biochem

I'd recommend Dr. Valenti and Dr. Tran who practices vision therapy across from UCSD. I had a great time shadowing under them, and they allow me to interact with some of their patients. The office sometimes have 4th year rotation students working there, and they can give you some comments of the school they attend to and life as an optometry student.

i would do ths following:
- take the physics 1 series you don't get brownie points for taking the calculus based course.
- if you're pre req GPA is under a 3.0, definietly take the biology courses it's VERY HEAVILY looked upon.
- take upper level biology classes (read the reviews make sure it's not hard to get an A/B in)

score very, very well on your OATson every section. SUNY is pretty tough in their selection process so ur GPA really isn't looking too great right now. also, i wouldn't put too much emphasis with the volunteering and involvement in clubs. they are important, however, if you don't have the academics you would be wasting youre time. gluuck